Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

If it's not one thing...

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: If it's not one thing...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 am

The HVAC guy came by about 4pm yesterday, and found that indeed the system had suffered a freeze lock due to the extended extreme temps. The temps we are experiencing are outside the performance envelope for the system... and not something we normally see in our area. It has been years.

He also said with the fine dust my shop produces, I not only need to keep the internal unit filters clean, but the coils ckean, blown out, on a regular basis. This is something he never mentioned during installation, guess it never occurred to him. Back up and running.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:29 am

It has been years since this part of the country has seen temps like this. Hope it's a whole lot more years till we see it again! Glad that you are once again operational.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:01 am

Im on freeze lock right now. Dont see anyway out of it till about April. Freezin outside and locked inside where its warm.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Went back out to the shop on Sunday and the system was back in Freeze Lock. :evil: I can't be upset with the contractor or the HVAC guy, neither of whom could have predicted the two weeks of single digit temps which are highly unusual in our area. The system isn't designed to function in this weather and our HVAC guy is running his behind off right now. We are supposed to get a warming trend for the next couple weeks. I will call him and ask what he recommends... a backup electrical heat system and shut off this unit when we get another spell like this?

The single floor model electric unit is keeping the well insulated woodshop at 60 degrees all on it's own. ;)
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 am

Do you have a generator? It seems that the electricity goes out a lot when areas get cold snaps. A generator powerful enough to run the electrical heat in the shop might be handy.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 am

We refinanced a few years ago and did the new roof thing, the added a 20k generac and upped the propane tank from 300 to 500 gallons. It's all automatic, self tests every Wednesday, and can run the entire house and the shops.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:17 am

Warmer weather. ;) Temps hit nearly fifty and melted the ice and snow. I reset the system.. and it appears to be working fine. We will check into a small propane burner to be wall mounted that is vented, with it's own 20 gallon tank. The other option is to stick with the small electric floor heat, or a larger ceiling mount unit, only for these record low periods. Hope we don't see them often. :twisted:
0 x