Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Traveling with guns

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Traveling with guns

Post by The Wiz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:06 pm

When traveling with guns across state lines, say on vacation or moving, what protocols or precautions should one take ?
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Traveling with guns

Post by Abnermal » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:25 pm

Every state has it's own laws. We're it me I would case unloaded gun and store ammo in a separate compartment or at least separate them. There are some LEO here that will give you the scoop on this.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:27 pm

1st stay off the coasts. The NE US is a nightmare of states that ignore federal travel law!

CA, NJ, NY, MD, Wash DC Probably MA, CT don't even go there with guns in the car. I won't! :shock:

Md has plate readers on every highway. They program them to alert police to license plates of folks who have CCW in other states and target them for pullover. It has been ugly for a few folks.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -searches/

I'd start by reading here.
http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/

I have the book and buy a new one every year.

But in general. All my guns have trigger locks and unloaded and are cased. Stored in trunk or as far away from driver as possible. Better yet a locking compartment made for such. All ammo is in a different locked case. Unless you have a CCW for the state you are in no handguns in the passenger compartment.

I only travel with long guns for the most part. Less BS than handguns.

Read as much as you can about the laws in the states you intend to travel through. The do it at your own risk.
1 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Squatch wrote:1st stay off the coasts. The NE US is a nightmare of states that ignore federal travel law!

CA, NJ, NY, MD, Wash DC Probably MA, CT don't even go there with guns in the car. I won't! :shock:

Md has plate readers on every highway. They program them to alert police to license plates of folks who have CCW in other states and target them for pullover. It has been ugly for a few folks.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... -searches/

I'd start by reading here.
http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/

I have the book and buy a new one every year.

But in general. All my guns have trigger locks and unloaded and are cased. Stored in trunk or as far away from driver as possible. Better yet a locking compartment made for such. All ammo is in a different locked case. Unless you have a CCW for the state you are in no handguns in the passenger compartment.

I only travel with long guns for the most part. Less BS than handguns.

Read as much as you can about the laws in the states you intend to travel through. The do it at your own risk.
Lots of good advise. When I traveled from CA to FL (1990's), an officer informed us to lock out firearms in the trunk and ammo in the glove box. I suspect things have changed since than. But, it seems to reflect Squatch's basic concept. I recently read a similar concept when researching laws for transporting firearms in a SE state.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:04 pm

I use a concealed carry app to keep up with firearm laws when traveling.
As Squatch said above the Northeast US is not friendly to travel with a firearm.
The one I use is very good and keeps up to date with each state as laws change.
It is available for Apple and Android so it should be available for any operating system.
CCW concealed carry 50 state guide. It covers not just concealed carry laws but all laws concerning firearms transportation in all 50 states.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:40 pm

most of our traveling is with our camper .... most firearms are transported unloaded, in cases, locked in the camper .... in concealed carry friendly states a fully loaded revolver is carried in the cab of the truck .... in unfriendly states, its also in the camper
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 am

Squatch has given great advice. Try and research any state you will go to. Some CCW permits reciprocate in other states. Others don't recognize any one elses. NY doesn't recognize anyone else's, for example. Do research before you carry over state lines. Even a call to the State Police of that state might help.

Enjoy your travels.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 am

We planned our travel and our vacations to reflect those states that honored our CCW.
Just prior to the start of a trip, I would call the state police HQ and tell the I am coming to their state and ask if their are any changes to the laws I need to be aware of. I note the date and time and ask the person I speak with their full name, rank, and title for my notes. I put that info in the vacation folder with hotel info and take it along. Better safe than sorry, and that few minutes on the phone is good insurance.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm

How about shipping guns from one private citizen to another not involving a sale.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:10 pm

No can do unless it is FFL to FFL if I remember right.
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!