Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

Post by ditto1958 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:36 pm

I’m writing this post on a tablet, a device many of us greatly enjoy, but also mostly take for granted. Something jogged my memory today, though, and caused me to remember reading Douglas Adams’ hilarious book, “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy. The title of Adams’ 1978 novel refers to a “book” given to the main character, Arthur Dent, an earthling who is thrust into the role of space traveler, and must somehow survive and safely navigate his way through the universe.

Well, it dawned on me today that Arthur Dent’s “The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy” actually exists today, and it’s in my hands now. Looking back to the mid-80’s when I first read Adams’ book (and it’s several sequels), I think I thought Arthur’s “Guide” was pretty cool, but was also nothing more than clever science fiction dreamed up by the author. I’m pretty sure I never dreamed I’d see anything like it happen in my lifetime.

In hindsight, I think it’s actaully pretty amazing how accurately Adams was able to foresee what was to come. I recall that while reading the books, I had a little bit of a hard time visualizing the “Guide” and how it worked. In hindsight, though, it’s very clear: the “Guide” was a tablet computer.
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:41 am

As an avid sci fi fan, I remember the book and the series, well. Looking back, it really is hard to believe there was actually a time when there was no internet or personal computers or forums. How did we survive? Actually, in may ways, it's a world I miss. :)
4 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 am

I am also an avid sci fi fan . My first sci fi book was "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank. That was in Jr. High( 13 yrs) and basically that is all I read now. Fantasy also but enough of the romantic/vampire genre. I find it difficult to like new "hard sci fi" now days. I find myself going back to the "masters " like Heinlein, Asimov, etc. and rereading their works. I love a good fantasy story as long as it isn't dragged out more than three books. I get bored and I tend to forget what happen 5 books ago. Like you said so much was foretold the "masters". I also miss the simpler ways but there is no going back is there?
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am

North Country Gal wrote:As an avid sci fi fan, I remember the book and the series, well. Looking back, it really is hard to believe there was actually a time when there was no internet or personal computers or forums. How did we survive? Actually, in may ways, it's a world I miss. :)
When I was growing up, we thought we lived in “modern times,” and we couldn’t imagine how our grandparents lived without cars, telephones, radio, tv, electricity, indoor plumbing, central heating...

I thought that they had lived through the most rapid and radical change in history.

Now, a little over 20 years into the internet world, I think I was wrong. Those of us who were alive before the 90’s have seen more change in our lifetimes than my grandparents did.

I’m not sure whether I miss the “old days” or not. It sure was different, though.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:49 pm

I miss them for the way they made me feel, at times, and what I learned and experienced, but there so much to do, now, that is new and different that I don't dwell on the old days. Hard to keep up with just all the new discoveries in the science of astronomy.
2 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm a big Dr Who fan. I was surprised that a few of the classic Dr Who shows were written by Douglas Adams.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:45 pm

clovishound wrote:I'm a big Dr Who fan. I was surprised that a few of the classic Dr Who shows were written by Douglas Adams.
Wow, I never knew that, but thinking about it- makes sense.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:36 pm

He wrote The Pirate Planet and Shada. He also co-wrote City of Death with Graham Williams under the pseudonym David Agnew. I won't say they were the absolute best Dr Who stories IMO, but they definitely had his mark on them.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 am

Life is simpler in many ways today. But the things that have made it so, have made it much more difficult.
News is instant, immediate, and anyone with a camera can create it. No research, and facts don't matter. If facts prove something false later, too late to matter.

Research can be done at home... library work... is a thing of the past. I loved sitting in the library, stack of books on my table, legal pad in front of me lost in the work... or meeting for a project with friends... as much a social event as an assignment. Now they can meet online to work.

When my friends and I played games, we saw each other. I remember sitting on our covered front porch in Tampa, the rain so loud on the roof we could barely hear on another, four hours into a Monopoly game. Mom brought out lunch and joined us. My grandson plays games with his friends. They are all alone, in their own rooms, miles apart.

I really did grow up in Mayberry.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 am

I grew up there, too. The thing that I miss most before the world went digital is that personal contact, as you describe, actually sitting across the table form another living, breathing human being. We Skype with the kids and it's truly a miracle that we can do that, given that they are a thousand miles plus away, but it is not even close to actually being with them, where I can hug them.
1 x