Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Curse of Oak Island

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: The Curse of Oak Island

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:53 pm

tonight's hour long (8 - 9PM) Digging Deeper lead in show to introduce season 7 was full of hits for big developments .... can only hope the season will live up to the hype
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:25 pm

the second first hour was mostly recapping the high points of last season and introducing a couple of new team members .... second hour included more finds by Gary Draper, he's remarkable .... also setting up new, large equipment to drill in the swamp + a redesign of the water barrier in Smith's Cove .... teaser for next week suggest major action at Smith's Cove and in the swamp
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:04 am

can only hope the season will live up to the hype
So do I and I'm giving the show another chance.
I watched tonight's episode and am looking forward to the 'swamp' activities.
I do have a question however and that is why didn't they spend more time diving the 55 depth of the swamp to research the 'anomoly' thought to be a ship?. Maybe they did and not interesting enough to invest show time in it.
The nagging question however is how did any of this get accomplished with 250 + year old technology yet modern technology cannot reveal it much quicker?
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:16 am

I think bigfoot is down there somewhere...keep digging.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:05 am

unlike drilling a hole at a spot where they are think something might be down there, the core drilling in the swamp is aimed at a specific target .... the core sample will either contain wood or it won't and they don't have to go down very deep to find it .... I can't help but wonder how thick the layer of sediment is that is covering the "ship?" .... in thinking about it, I can see a determined group digging and building an underground vault to store their "treasure" .... I can also see bobby-trapping it .... to seal off a strip of water between two islands, sink a large ship and fill in behind it, makes no sense to me .... on the one had it makes no sense to go to all that work and sink an empty ship .... it also makes no sense to me sink one with something valuable that I hope to come back and retrieve later .... oh well, I guess we will see
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Season 7 Episode 2 airs tonight on History at 9 - 10:05 PM .... from the promo it appears they will spend most of the show in the swamp
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Ill be watching!
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:37 pm

well, the much ballyhooed sunken Spanish galleon in the swamp has turned out to be another nonstarter .... for me, Gary Draper's finds continue to be most interesting
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:49 pm

well, the much ballyhooed sunken Spanish galleon in the swamp has turned out to be another nonstarter .... for me, Gary Draper's finds continue to be most interesting
Yep - I had my doubts about the 'ship' theory as it was so I was not too surprised.

Ditto on Gary Draper's finds and I wish they would give him more airtime on detecting and his finds.

One thing however most do not realize about metal detecting is anywhere one searches - and specifically areas of long term, human habitation or visitation - it is not uncommon to find a lot of random items not specifically related or connected to the inhabitants or visitors to the area. While some of his finds are unique none are really evidentiary in pointing to anything specific - such as a treasure or artifacts on the scale of what is suggested.

I have long experienced this in my own detecting adventures and buttons, pieces of jewelry, old tools and just random junk are all things I have found as well and are all typically just randomly dropped or left laying around to be forgotten and buried with time. Heck I once found a WW1 German religious medallion in a city park in So Cal. Talk about out of place and random. Also just the other day I dropped a small, metal sight part in my gravel driveway and after looking for it on my hands and knees I drug out my metal detector and after about an hour found it but not after digging up a bunch of random junk in what was about a 4' diameter area. I occasionally get out and search my own property and have found some interesting stuff and because the area I live was one of the known routes of early wagon travel its not unusual to find a lot of odd things.

I believe there IS something of historical importance (and possibly large) on Oak Island but his finds are not of an untypical nature for an area that has been basically beaten to death for over 200 years.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:05 pm

That's been the case with the whole show from the beginning. I grew tired of it and quit watching. Surprised the show has run for so many seasons.
... While some of his finds are unique none are really evidentiary in pointing to anything specific -
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234