Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cougar in my yard

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Cougar in my yard

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:27 pm

The Washington State Department of Fish and Game tagged six cougars near Cle Elum, WA and tracked them via satellite for a year. I saw their presentation of the tracking and it was interesting to note each cougar had their own territory and there was very little overlapping. It also showed that one walked down mainstreet often. The refresh rate was about once an hour but over a year it showed they took the same routes and the dots were more like a solid line.

During the year of tracking there was not a single report of one walking down mainstreet. Looking at each individual dot you could see it was always at night.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 pm

I wonder if these two have anything to do with the cougar in the area? :D It was taken out my kitchen window about ten minutes ago.
DSCN5600.JPG
DSCN5600.JPG (3.45 MiB) Viewed 1429 times
2 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 pm

My neighbor and I were just talking about how in spite of his seeing a cougar in his yard or on the road nearby and also the report a few years ago of a horse further up our canyon being taken down by a cougar, we've never had a problem with one trying to get at our livestock. I had a horse for over 25 years along with some pygmy goats and we've had a small herd of goats for the last 5 years and have had no incidents. Fence is field fence with a few strands of electric, no more than 5 feet tall which I don't think a cougar would have any trouble jumping over and although we are fairly close to town we are on a rural dead end road with very little traffic. Maybe just lucky I guess.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:48 pm

dave77 wrote:My neighbor and I were just talking about how in spite of his seeing a cougar in his yard or on the road nearby and also the report a few years ago of a horse further up our canyon being taken down by a cougar, we've never had a problem with one trying to get at our livestock. I had a horse for over 25 years along with some pygmy goats and we've had a small herd of goats for the last 5 years and have had no incidents. Fence is field fence with a few strands of electric, no more than 5 feet tall which I don't think a cougar would have any trouble jumping over and although we are fairly close to town we are on a rural dead end road with very little traffic. Maybe just lucky I guess.
I bet they make a living eating smaller game like rabbits and cats.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Theres nothin better than a Washington Apple. I use to sit in the wild apple trees in my neighborhood and eat those things like crazy. Sure do miss those days.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Theres nothin better than a Washington Apple. I use to sit in the wild apple trees in my neighborhood and eat those things like crazy. Sure do miss those days.
I planted the tree 27 years ago and have seen deer eating from it for about 20 years. The ones high up will feed birds later. One cold snowy winter I saw a very large 4x4 buck on his hind legs standing straight up reaching apples the other smaller deer couldn't reach.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

BigAl52 wrote:Theres nothin better than a Washington Apple. I use to sit in the wild apple trees in my neighborhood and eat those things like crazy. Sure do miss those days.
My neighbor is a truck driver, mostly hauling fruit so I get to sample some of the newest varieties. He had some of the latest, greatest apples a couple of weeks ago and they were excellent, can't remember the name but he said they would be scarce and expensive for quite awhile.

Where were you from in Washington? I've lived here in Wenatchee for 65 years and it sure has changed. I guess they still call us the "Apple Capital of the World", there used to be many orchards inside and just outside city limits but now most of them are gone to housing developments and the orchards have moved to more remote areas. We do still have a lot of fruit warehouses/packing facilities.

Cherries are where the big money is now, if you can grow the perfect, big cherries the Japanese want to import you can make a fortune. Only problem is if you get a heavy rainfall before they're quite ripe enough to pick, they'll split and your whole crop is worthless.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 pm

dave77 wrote:
My neighbor is a truck driver, mostly hauling fruit so I get to sample some of the newest varieties. He had some of the latest, greatest apples a couple of weeks ago and they were excellent, can't remember the name but he said they would be scarce and expensive for quite awhile.

Where were you from in Washington? I've lived here in Wenatchee for 65 years and it sure has changed. I guess they still call us the "Apple Capital of the World", there used to be many orchards inside and just outside city limits but now most of them are gone to housing developments and the orchards have moved to more remote areas. We do still have a lot of fruit warehouses/packing facilities.

Cherries are where the big money is now, if you can grow the perfect, big cherries the Japanese want to import you can make a fortune. Only problem is if you get a heavy rainfall before they're quite ripe enough to pick, they'll split and your whole crop is worthless.
I have a favorite cherry stand in East Wenatchee. I believe he passed away and the new owners aren't the best growers. But I also just liked listening to him tell stories. A couple prods and he is yacking. So my views might be a little clouded.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:19 am

Tina planted six fruit trees in the back yard last year, and plans to add six more, and blueberries and blackberries. I'm guessing we'll have to put up fencing to keep the deer out. :P otherwise, why bother? We let the lower pasture grow over... for the deer. They sleep down there most of the year. We rarely allow hunting on the property here. I am not against it, just not here on our place.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:27 am

We can discharge a firearm where I live if its safe to do so. I'm pro-gun but would argue it is not safe on most properties. I sometimes hear shooting off in the distance but its always on two properties which are safe.

This side of the road is zoned one house per acre and the other side is one house per five acres. Some are larger but none are smaller.
0 x