Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Next Step, Knee Replacement

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Next Step, Knee Replacement

Post by JEBar » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:45 pm

in response to a couple of PM'd questions, the pictures below are of pre and post surgery X-rays

picture 1, presurgery .... in the knee joint on the left bone on bone contact can be seen .... space can be seen between the upper and lower bones in the knee joint on the right

pictures 2 & 3 post surgery .... a front and a side view of the joint after surgery .... the bright white areas are the replacement components
Attachments
001 pre surgery 001 reformated.jpg
001 pre surgery 001 reformated.jpg (28.97 KiB) Viewed 403 times
002 post surgery 001 reformated.jpg
002 post surgery 001 reformated.jpg (30.06 KiB) Viewed 403 times
002 post surgery 002 reformated.jpg
002 post surgery 002 reformated.jpg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 403 times
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:25 pm

Here I Go Again ....

just returned from an appointment with the same orthopedic surgeon that replaced my left knee 7 years ago .... X-rays confirmed bone on bone contact in my right knee .... we've decided to have the surgery sometime in late August or early September after we return from our summer trip to South Dakota .... as noted in one of the earlier post in this thread the surgical hose was another unpleasant experience .... if it had of been available back then, I have no doubt it would have used it in medieval dungeons as a torture device" .... hands down, my experience with that surgical hose has been the main reason I've never checked on having my right knee done .... when I learned last week that they no longer use the surgical hose, we booked today's appointment .... happy to have made this decision and now need to hold on until its time .... as was the case last time, I have to drop a considerable amount of weight before the surgery .... last time I had to drop from 330 to 270 .... this time its from 305 to 270 .... I've been working on it for a couple of months and am at 275 today .... shouldn't be a problem
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 am

What was the deal with the surgical hose? I looked back through this thread and didn't see any mention of it and don't remember anything about it from my knee replacement 9 years ago. I'm also confused, you say you're having your left knee done again because of bone on bone contact. I don't think I have any bone left in my knee that can contact. Did you just have a partial knee replacement?

My replaced right knee is still doing great. I did over do it last year digging a trench in some very dry, hard dirt and it was sore for couple of weeks. A few years back I was thinking I might need the left one replaced, Doctor x-rayed it and said it wasn't nearly bad enough for Medicare to approve replacement. Said he would give me up to 3 cortisone shots a year if needed, he gave me one and it's been fine ever since.
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 am

My wife is scheduled for knee replacement first week in May. She's scared half to death about it. She has all her joint prep appointment in April. I didn't think she would have to worry about bone on bone afterwards.
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 am

Had total knee replacement in both knees. Everything went great, Made sure I went to PT and my knees feel great.
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm

brm4450 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 am
Had total knee replacement in both knees. Everything went great, Made sure I went to PT and my knees feel great.
My doctor told me if I was religious about doing my stretches at home I wouldn't have to go to PT. Physical Therapist came to my home a couple of times to show me the exercises, I did them 4 times a day, every day and had great results. Heck, most of the stretches you can do laying on the couch or sitting in a chair.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:56 pm

dave77 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 am
What was the deal with the surgical hose? I looked back through this thread and didn't see any mention of it and don't remember anything about it from my knee replacement 9 years ago. I'm also confused, you say you're having your left knee done again because of bone on bone contact. I don't think I have any bone left in my knee that can contact. Did you just have a partial knee replacement?
sorry for the confusion, I messed up ..... my left knees was replaced years ago and now its time to have the right one taken care of .... 7 years ago after they replaced my left knee, I had to wear white stretchy "surgical hose" that for me were extremely uncomfortable .... I was told wearing them helped to deal with any blood clots that may develop as a result to the surgery .... their surface was coarse and for me it felt like they were made out of rough sandpaper .... I've never worn tight fitting clothing and frankly I was miserable .... so much so that I made up my mind to not have my right knee replaced ..... over the last 7 years my right knee has gotten progressively worse/painful .... the day after I found out they no longer use them, I made an appointment to start the process of getting my right knee replaced .... if I hadn't of found that out (by accident) I'd of never made the call
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 pm

graywolf wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:16 am
My wife is scheduled for knee replacement first week in May.

for me that's completely understandable ..... I was much the same .... after going through the first one, facing the second is very different .... hopefully her surgery will go well
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:02 pm

brm4450 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 am
really good to hear yours went so well .... the only negative I've found about my first one is it hurts to get down on my knees on a hard surface .....
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:22 pm

Oh, compression socks. I was thinking some kind of hose like a garden hose. Yes, I hated them. Was supposed to wear mine for 2 weeks, I wanted a shower after a couple of days and being single there was no way I was going to get the one on my leg with the new knee back on by myself (had a hard enough time getting it off by myself) so they both got left off. I was active enough getting around the house with a walker for a few days and then a cane that I wasn't too worried about blood clots.

They must have improved metal detectors. Last couple of times I've gone to the County Courthouse my knee didn't set it off like it used to. I think my knee is titanium, it should be, I saw the itemized bill sent to my insurance and just the knee alone was around $25,000 and that was 9 years ago, can't imagine what they cost now.
0 x