Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Swamp People

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Swamp People

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:42 pm

anyone watch Swamp People on the History Channel .. :?: .. we've watched it since season one and have enjoyed watching the cast mature over time .... it is interesting to me to see the wide range of calibers they use to take gators .... some use a 22 mag, others use much higher calibers .... I'm still waiting to see one of them use a Henry .. :D

http://www.history.com/shows/swamp-people
1 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Swamp People

Post by tx gunrunner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 am

A gator head is like shooting a steel plate so you must watch out for bullet or bone splatter if you miss the soft spot in there head . I never see them showing bullets bounding back or bone splatter . So bullet placement and caliber is very important when shooting them at 1 foot . I enjoyed the show but there is only a few way to hunt or kill gators and each show is like watching reruns .
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 am

tx gunrunner wrote:A gator head is like shooting a steel plate so you must watch out for bullet or bone splatter if you miss the soft spot in there head . I never see them showing bullets bounding back or bone splatter . So bullet placement and caliber is very important when shooting them at 1 foot . I enjoyed the show but there is only a few way to hunt or kill gators and each show is like watching reruns .

I've seen several episodes where bullets have hit wrong, shattered, and the hunters have been hit by them and bone spatter .... I believe that Willie had shrapnel embed in his cheek, just below his eye .... they say the soft spot is about the size of a quarter, hence the need to get close and shoot straight down .... what I don't understand is, with that being the case, how do they make the long range kills
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:24 am

JEBar wrote: I've seen several episodes where bullets have hit wrong, shattered, and the hunters have been hit by them and bone spatter .... I believe that Willie had shrapnel embed in his cheek, just below his eye .... they say the soft spot is about the size of a quarter, hence the need to get close and shoot straight down .... what I don't understand is, with that being the case, how do they make the long range kills
A bullet speed [fps] not size will drill a hole in steel . The smaller the caliber like .223 and the faster the bullet the easier it will make a hole in steel . Most sabot are 17 caliber inside like a 308 bullet . The 308 will keep the speed up at long range and the 17 or smaller will drill the hole when it hits the target .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

I would think a Mare's Leg would be perfect for the job.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:36 am

Sir Henry wrote:I would think a Mare's Leg would be perfect for the job.
a few use revolvers .... most appear to be 22 mags .... I've seen episodes where hunters stuck their rifles down to get close for the shot and the gator grabbed the rifle and went into a roll .... the rifle was jerked from the hunters' hands and really messed them up .... broken fingers and deep cuts .... I think that having the gator grab a revolver could get really bad in a hurry ....
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:59 am

How many fingers does a person really need? :D
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Dennis H
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Dennis H » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:10 am

I would think they could ease em up to the surface and choot em as soon as they break the surface. But then we wouldn't get to hear Troy say "choot em" 10 times an episode. Full disclosure, yes I watch! :lol:
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm sure that when the cameras aren't rolling, they ease as many to the boat as they can .... that wouldn't make good TV so I'm sure that when the cameras are rolling they try to make it exciting .. ;)
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:34 pm

JEBar wrote:I'm sure that when the cameras aren't rolling, they ease as many to the boat as they can .... that wouldn't make good TV so I'm sure that when the cameras are rolling they try to make it exciting .. ;)
And that's why "reality tv" isn't. ;)
3 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"