Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Windows 95

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Windows 95

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:20 am

I keep my finances on Quicken and don't want the internet to see them so I keep them on an old computer that is not hooked up to the internet. I runs on Windows 95. With all the improvements operating systems have added the old Win95 still does what it needs to do.

So what system are you running?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Windows 95

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Keeping important data on a computer that's not connected to the internet is a good strategy. Backing up the hard drive would also be prudent.

We currently have two computers running Windows 7 Home Premium; both behind a hardware firewall, but connected to the internet. Microsoft will keep them updated until 2020.

I keep backups of the operating systems and drivers and separate backups of the data on hard drives that I removed from several older computers when I recycled them. I use a USB dock to plug them in whenever needed.

I'm very careful to keep the OS and drivers updated and the AV software current and fully enabled. Knock on some good Henry wood; we have never had a virus or other malware issues.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm running on Window 7 Home Premium also. And I'm not going to upgrade. I did it once and my computer didn't like it so I went back.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
0 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Until a few years ago, I had an old computer that came with Windows 98. It had been collecting duets for awhile, and I remember that just before I got rid of it I decided to try running Linux on it. I found the smallest flavor there was (it was designed to use on old computers). It was still pokey, but it worked.

As I recall, there was a time when I thought Win 98 SE was pretty exciting.
0 x