Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Blackwood Gun Club, Conroe, TX

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Blackwood Gun Club, Conroe, TX

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:13 am

a couple of days ago I spent a morning at Blackwood with John (Shakey Jake) from this forum .... our impressions as to its facilities and management were very favorable .... the range office struck a solid balance between safe operation and maintaining a fun atmosphere .... that alone makes is a cut above .... based on our experience, we will most certainly go back but this time I will probably take a different assortment of firearms .... that being ones better suited for longer ranges, 100 to 200 yards .... they most certainly offer shorter ranges and will position portable target stands to meet the needs of folks them .... they do have a FFL level store and gunsmith operation .... they provide sand bags, spotting scopes are available for rent .... targets are stapled at top and bottom to wooden boards .... 100 yard size targets work best .... I was told they do have cardboard available for smaller targets but didn't see any in use .... I was impressed by the number of couples who were there .... the range offer will assist folks who may need help post targets at longer ranges .... there prices remain as in the link above but it should be noted that the range fee covers you for as long as you want to shoot during that day .... they have no issue with going back to your truck to get supplies, I don't know how they would react to rotating firearms
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am

JEBar wrote:a couple of days ago I spent a morning at Blackwood with John (Shakey Jake) from this forum .... our impressions as to its facilities and management were very favorable .... the range office struck a solid balance between safe operation and maintaining a fun atmosphere .... that alone makes is a cut above .... based on our experience, we will most certainly go back but this time I will probably take a different assortment of firearms .... that being ones better suited for longer ranges, 100 to 200 yards .... they most certainly offer shorter ranges and will position portable target stands to meet the needs of folks them .... they do have a FFL level store and gunsmith operation .... they provide sand bags, spotting scopes are available for rent .... targets are stapled at top and bottom to wooden boards .... 100 yard size targets work best .... I was told they do have cardboard available for smaller targets but didn't see any in use .... I was impressed by the number of couples who were there .... the range offer will assist folks who may need help post targets at longer ranges .... there prices remain as in the link above but it should be noted that the range fee covers you for as long as you want to shoot during that day .... they have no issue with going back to your truck to get supplies, I don't know how they would react to rotating firearms
If you like it, and it sounds like you do, then use it regardless of price. Try going to a baseball or football game for that price.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Sir Henry wrote:If you like it, and it sounds like you do, then use it regardless of price. Try going to a baseball or football game for that price.

I don't recall the exact charge but do know it was $21 + whatever Tax had to be added .... that covered one person firing 2 rifles (our Henry 44 Mag & 45-70) .... during the morning I fired 200+ 44's and just under 50 45-70's .... I'm still trying to work out hunting and range loads for the 45-70 but our 44 Mag load has been set for decades .... as noted, I did enjoy it and do hope to go again .... right now I'm leaning to take a couple of hundred rounds for our Browning BLR 308 and a hundred or so rounds for our 300 WBY .... that said, the 44 was so much fun to shoot, it will be hard to leave it behind .... this summer I do plan to take the 44 when we go out west and to fire several hundred rounds both going and coming at Jay Henges shooting park near St Louis
0 x

tx gunrunner
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by tx gunrunner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Before I pay there prices I will buy some land build any gun range like my range I sold in Tn
Attachments
shortrange.jpg
shortrange.jpg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
gunrange.jpg
gunrange.jpg (83.4 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:54 pm

These gun ranges in the Houston area pretty much have the same rules for safety. They don't want the liability of accidents. Also, LAND is not cheap in this area and so all of them charge extra for guns IF YOU'RE NOT A MEMBER. I don't know about Blackwood but most basic memberships around Houston are in the $350 range. Pay that once a year and there's not range fee and you can shoot as many guns as you want. If you shoot weekly like I do then it's a no brainer to pay the yearly fee. I belong to the American Shooting Center: http://www.amshootcenters.com/ If you look up their fees it would cost me a hell of a lot more. I've belonged to a couple of other ranges in town that have gone out of business because the land was worth more than the business. There's a large condo complex where on sits now and on the other there's a very nice, exclusive country club. I don't blame the owners for selling out and retiring.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:42 pm

as John (Shakey Jake) noted, the prices mentioned for Blackwood are for for nonmembers .... another range near our current campground is Creekwood Shooting Sports ===> http://www.creekwoodshootingsports.com/ .... its facilities are largely designed to accommodate shotgun shooting .... they do offer a small pistol range .... no rifle ranges .... over time we've fired some of their shotgun courses and their pricing is very much in line with Blackwood .... we have heard of Thunder Gun Range ===> http://www.thundergunrange.com/index.html that is in this area but we haven't seen it .... per the link, their pricing is similar .... one thing we hope comes to fruition down the line is Blackwood's development of a 500 yard range
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:25 pm

The $14 for one shooter is not bad.....but I don't understand the extra cost
for additional gun.
i do - it's called 'profiteering' - dang near piracy as far as I am concerned. To charge for an additional gun - when you can only shoot one at a time and are occupying only one lane is unacceptable.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm looking forward to once again linking up with John (Shakey Jake) at Blackwood on Monday, Jan 20, 2020 .... I plan to take BBS and Redhawk 44 Mags .... don't know what John is bringing but I'm really looking forward to seeing some of his firearms about which I've enjoyed reading his Range Reports
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Hot Rod wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:32 pm
I belong to a gun club in Brazoria County Texas that has 2,000 plus members - Cowboys - pistol ranges - 100 yard to 600 yards ranges and even bow ranges rather large complex anyway I am 65 it only cost me $50.00 per year. Lots of activities & compatition always going on.

Hot Rod
Brazoria County is far enough from Houston that they can charge that. I belonged to a club in a rural area that was on par with those fees once upon a time ago. Now that I'm in Sugar Land my best bet is to buy a yearly membership at American Shooting Centers. It costs me $350/yr but at least that way I don't have any limit on how many guns I shoot in a day.

Jake
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 pm

If you guys get to do some snooping around Jim Jake Id be curious about ranges near there you can shoot reactive targets on.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55