Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Boat Trailer Tires

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Boat Trailer Tires

Post by HenryFan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm

I recently returned from a trip to Lake Okeechobee where the annual Gathering of Geezers occurred. It is about a 611 mile trip, one way, from my South Carolina residence to where we stay on the west side of Lake O.

As always, I check tire pressures and corrected all to 60 PSI, the recommended PSI stamped on the 4.80-12 tires. I gave the tires and the rest of the trailer a good inspection at the time I corrected the tire pressures and all looked well.

A day or so after I arrived, I happened to look at one of the tires and I was quite surprised to see that it was almost bald. I looked at the other tire and it was in much the same condition. Somehow, in that 600 or so miles, the tread wore off. It was not great at the outset of the trip but I thought the tread was sufficient. I was wrong.

Luckily, I carry two spares and swapped them out for the worthless tires that were on the ground. When I pulled the first tire (the one that initially caught my attention), I discovered there was a bulge in one spot and it was starting to delaminate.

While I was swapping out the tires, the Council of Geezers gathered to offer comments and one discovered the tires were made in date stamp 1514 or the 15th week of 2014. This gave them great delight in pointing out my:
1.) Cheap nature
2.) Inattention to tire dates
3.) Failure to maintain boat trailers
4.) General laziness
5.) Several other shortcomings but I stopped listening at some point. There was some sort of a comment about "At least he can filet fish" so I guess that is some sort of a recommendation.

The Council of Geezers made repeated comments to the effect that "Everyone knows to replace boat trailer tires every five or six years". Repeated comments to the extent that apparently anyone who does not know that needs a chaperone or a minder.

I am glad neither of the bad tires came apart on I-95.

In any event, I have a theory that in the late stages of cheap 4.80-12 boat trailer tire life, tire wear is greatly accelerated. Does this make sense? Any similar experiences?

I did buy two new tires Saturday and my local tire shop mounted them today and installed new valve stems.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Boat Trailer Tires

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:48 pm

I think you are right about tires wearing faster as they age.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:18 pm

HenryFan wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm
I recently returned from a trip to Lake Okeechobee where the annual Gathering of Geezers occurred. It is about a 611 mile trip, one way, from my South Carolina residence to where we stay on the west side of Lake O.
In any event, I have a theory that in the late stages of cheap 4.80-12 boat trailer tire life, tire wear is greatly accelerated.
Does this make sense? Any similar experiences?
A couple of things, we are planning to RV somewhere near Lake Okeechobee next Winter. We have camped at a CG on the southern tip that was
nice, but deserted, and we have stayed at a CG a bit west of there two years ago. I would like to find a more interesting place. Where did you stay if I may ask? Carol had two brothers on the East Coast of Florida and a sister on the West Coast so we try to be in between.

Second, about twenty years ago I was returning from a family fishing trip in Northern Minnesota and I noticed in my mirror that I had a low tire on my boat trailer, so I pulled into a Coop truck stop along I94. When I pulled in I noticed two sheriff's cars parked at the restaurant but paid no attention.
I was airing up the low tire when it exploded with a very loud BANG much to my dismay, and when I recovered my senses I was confronted by two deputies with drawn guns. They thought it was a gun shot. :shock:

Don't be cheap on tires. :roll:
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:56 pm

The Council of Geezers have stayed at the Lakeport Hunting and Lodge in Lakeport, FL for many years. Basic accommodations but far from a Michelin Guide facility. My wife would not spend one night there but the owner is a very nice lady who tries to accommodate her guests. Of importance to us is the presence of a fish cleaning station and battery charging stations, an absolute necessity for us.

I don't think Ms. cooperhawk would want to stay there unless she is an avid duck hunter or a fanatical fisherwoman. I think, but I am not sure, that Roland Martin's resort in Clewiston (on the southwest corner of Lake O) has some nicer accommodations. Clewiston has some more upscale motels, I think but upscale is not what my old coots look for.

As far as camping facilities, the Council of Geezers can't help there since we pull boats. Never had the need for a CG.

As far as tires, I won't set out again with ten-year-old chinese time bombs again.

I did notice the replacements are made in Vietnam rather than china. I don't know if that is good, bad or of no significance.
0 x

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:04 pm

I did notice the replacements are made in Vietnam rather than china. I don't know if that is good, bad or of no significance.
Their sandals seemed to have good mileage back in the day.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:23 pm

The sandals carried little weight.

Maybe made from recycled Michelins.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:18 pm

Just remember those 12 inch tires are spinning alot faster than the tires on your tow vehicle. Tires that are older than 5 years for a trailer start to lose the flex in the rubber. Like those Geezers said if there older than 5 buy new.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:19 am

I can relate on a few points here. I have had small boats since the early 80s, and all had those 10" or 12" trailer tires. As a cheap SOB myself, or more accurately, not wanting to spend when I didn't have to, those tires almost never were changed. I always had Bearing Buddies, and kept the spindles greased, but driving up to an hour was the max that I'd go to fish, so if my tires held air, they were fine.

My latest boat trailer has the same tires as you, on 5 lug rims. Got a flat two years ago because that tire was decades old, and even though tires on rims are readily available at almost every Tractor Supply, it was still a PITA taking everything out of the boat and leaving it there to go get the new tire/rim. Happened in a very rural area, only 40 minutes from home, but took a couple hours to get that whole situation dealt with and put the boat/trailer back in the garage. I carry a spare now, and have the two original rims that I will put tires on eventually.

The other point is having to do any kind of repair in a public setting like that. You never have the right tools, and even though they're your friends, everyone chimes in with what you should have done, or what they do so they never have your problem happen to them. It's all good-natured, but usually everyone joins in. I've seen this at the range more times than I can count, and the smart guys just put their gun away and deal with it when they get home. Not an option for a boat trailer though. Sounds like a fun group and I hope you guys all caught fish and had a great trip.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:04 am

I used to hang out on the Forest River RV forum quite a bit. Man, the Council of Geezers on there sure hate made in China tires. The Rockwood travel trailer I used to have came with Castle Rock made in China tires which are known for catastrophic failures when blowing out taking lots of the trailer trim with them. Upon their advice I replaced my brand new “China Bombs” as the Council called them with made in USA Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. I currently have a 2016 flat bed trailer with the original tires on it that I should get replaced.
0 x

HenryFan
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by HenryFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 pm

When I travel a far distance pulling a trailer, I carry a cordless 1/2" drive impact wrench, a 4 way lug wrench, a scissors jack, wood blocks to raise the jack, a spare hub assembly, a mini grease gun with three tubes of grease and for several years now, two spare tires. This paid off this year but I still regret my cheapness allowing me to drive from South Carolina to Lake O with chinese time bombs. I worry about changing a flat on I-95 so I am glad the tire changing was in the motel parking lot. I felt uneasy about the return trip with two rotten chinese time bombs as my spares but luck was with me. Never trade luck for skill.

The Council of Geezers are fellows I worked with going back maybe four decades. Not many thin skinned men there but each of the men is dear to me. With the exception of me, a great bunch of guys.

As far as fish, things are changing at Lake O. Over the years, Mayan Ciclids (spelling?) have proliferated and the bream (bluegill) catch seems smaller each year. I think of ciclids as "peacock bream". Lot of fun to catch and tasty to eat. We caught coolers of them since the Florida Wildlife Commission considers them as an invasive species and there is no possession limit. At the end of the trip, I threw away three sets of electric fish filet knive blades. I did my part on ciclid eradication. I wonder if Governor Desantis will send me a thank you note.
0 x