Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Today the fishing hole....

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Today the fishing hole....

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:59 pm

Cleared out an area where my creek is the deepest to see if any fish might be willing to take a bite. Loaded up my little utility tractor with some gear along with the 20 gauge Shockwave and off I went to the fishing hole. Using a rig I made to measure the water depth it was at 23 inch about 6 ft from the bank with the creek maybe20- 30 ft wide. Right after I stopped and was getting my light casting rod ready I happen to look up and see a large Black snake had slithered out a few feet in front of the tractor. So not knowing what else could be hiding I grab the Shockwave with the birdshot and continue on to cast a line. Using some leftover chicken from dinner on the small hook I got several good hits where it took the bait out a ways but failed to get a set. This went on for a while and then tried one of those small yellow green artificial worms. As I was getting set to cast I notice another large Black snake slither across about a foot from me on edge of the bank 3 1/2-4 ft length for the both so far and making it a bit hard to focus on what the fish were doing. It disappeared into some brush and I fired off a round that direction to scare him off....just for grins!
Will try my luck again and it was fun just fishing around in the creek today. Looks like the snakes like it and hopefully no water moccasins or copperheads will show up....have to watch out for those!
Attachments
utility tractor setup for some creek fishing.jpg
utility tractor setup for some creek fishing.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 138 times
the fishing hole.jpg
the fishing hole.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 138 times
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Today the fishing hole....

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:32 am

You'd be surprised what you might catch in those small creeks. Keep at it, but keep that eye out for the unfriendlies. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 am

Sounds like a nice afternoon, like Marine said, no telling what you might drag out of there.
Growing up, there was a good size creek no to far from the house that we fished a lot.
Blue gill, Shell crackers as we called them, Bream, and Catfish mostly.
An occasional Bass every now and then.
Lots of fun and some good memories were had down there.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 pm

That shockwave should take care of those uninvited guests pretty well. I like the scabbard for it. Where did you get it?
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 pm

I try not to look for snakes while I am fishing, if I did I might never go fishing.
Surprising what can come out of small water I have pulled 18" trout out of 12" water at the farm and apart from the odd hole very little of it would be 2 feet deep. It is fast water though with over 50y of drop per mile through the farm so the volume of water in it is much higher than you expect for a small creek.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:57 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 pm
That shockwave should take care of those uninvited guests pretty well. I like the scabbard for it. Where did you get it?
Found it online some years ago and it also fits my Rossi Ranch Hand very well.
3 x