Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is it summer 2024 yet?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Is it summer 2024 yet?

Post by daytime dave » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:50 am

dave77 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:56 pm
The house I grew up in had a large window unit that my dad had mounted permanently with a hole cut in a wall, the house had no windows that you could mount one in. It was a 220v unit and kept the the upstairs comfortable. The bedrooms were in a daylight basement and I remember them as staying comfortable even before he installed the A/C.
Dave, I have that now. The house I purchased recently has a very large 220 unit in the wall. It keeps things nice in the hottest part of the summer. The ceiling fans do a good job most of the time. My windows won't allow a window unit either. I'm not sure if one of the free standing units would work or not.
By the way, as I type this I'm watching snow fall but not accumulate. One last blast I hope.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:09 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:36 am
Growing up in Missouri we didn't have air conditioning until I was a junior or senior in high school. We just toughed it out. Summer nights we'd sleep in cots on the enclosed screened porch. Dad got a window unit and put it up in the living room area. All we had was a chiller before that. I'm sure many of you remember those.
Jake
By chiller I assume you mean what I call a swamp cooler. I had one for a few years long ago but they only seem able to keep the temp about 20 degrees lower than the outside temp. We have very low humidity here when it's hot so dampness wasn't a big problem during the day. My issue was I was working swing shift so if I turned it off before leaving for work it would be quite hot for my cats and still be too warm when I got home, if I left it on I would come home to a very cool and damp home. Solved that by putting a thermostat on the power supply.

I remember on one of our Summer trips back to N. Dakota my dad had found a little swamp cooler that you put ice water in and sat on the car's tunnel, helped if you were in the front seat and it was blowing on you but didn't help me at all in the back seat. Spent the afternoons hoping the motel we stopped at had a pool. My dad was also not one to stop other than for lunch or an interesting tourist attraction. You had to beg him to stop for a bathroom break (unless it was for my mom).
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:32 pm

I think this is a good sign.
5FD4ADF5-C0FD-439E-B5BF-278399D843AC.jpeg
5FD4ADF5-C0FD-439E-B5BF-278399D843AC.jpeg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 101 times
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:08 pm

yep, summer is on the way ..... our forecast for the next 6 days is daytime temps in the low to mid 80's
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:18 pm

So it's Spring and I went to get my old Ford 8N out and blade the drive. Well, guess what? While we were gone South
someone got into our pole barn and tried to get it started. Somehow they burned out the switch, maybe jumping with
12 volt on a 6 volt, but anyway they tried to jump it and failed. The battery was completely dead and there were jumper
wires hanging there that they left. They also tried to rewire it to run, but obviously didn't know what they were doing
because the way the rewired it, it could never run. I charged the batter, got a new switch, removed their wires and replaced
the other wires to their proper place, and it started right up.
I can't imagine they'd go to all that trouble to steal and old Ford tractor but it was also blocking the path for my friends
vintage Ford Mustangs he has stored there. If they couldn't move the tractor they couldn't get the Mustangs out.
I guess I need another camera out there. :?
2 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:27 pm

cooperhawk wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:18 pm
I guess I need another camera out there. :?

sounds like that would be a good idea
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:31 pm

Not quite summer here yet. Mowed the near house lawn for only the 2nd time. Used the blower to clean up the clippings and sent clouds of yellow pollen billowing.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:18 am

No air conditioning thru high school. No A/C in school either.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:33 am

I cleaned out some flower bed on Saturday and Sunday. I also turned the heat off so the house cools down at night. The morning sun can bring the house from 55 degrees to 75 in an hour. I have rollup outside blinds on the east side when it really get hot. I say when it gets hot but I don’t think it’s ever reached 90 in the two full summers I’ve been here. Ogema is known as one of the coldest spots in Wisconsin. It’s not the coldest spot in the winter but the summers are mild. If you average the yearly thermal days we are the coldest.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:12 am

Mags wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:31 pm
Not quite summer here yet. Mowed the near house lawn for only the 2nd time. Used the blower to clean up the clippings and sent clouds of yellow pollen billowing.
Yuk, coming our way I suppose. Thankfully I’m not allergic but it sure makes a mess.

Got all the flower beds spruced up yesterday so things are looking good around here. Next up is an area my wife wants to add the the lawn. I need to bring in some dirt and level it and remove a bunch of river rock the builder used for the drain field. Then reseed it. Like we needed more lawn :roll: This area wasn’t part of the original lawn but when we fenced the back yard the fence enclosed this area so I guess it makes sense to make it the same as the adjoining area. Another 700 sf to deal with :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:
1 x