Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is it summer 2024 yet?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Is it summer 2024 yet?

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:20 am

I put up my a/c early this year because when I’ll need it in May I might not be able to lift it. It weighs about 40 pounds and I’ll be on a 20 pound limit till the end of June.
93268638-D59C-407C-AD76-18D8640930DD.jpeg
93268638-D59C-407C-AD76-18D8640930DD.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 255 times
This is a great little unit and keeps the upstairs chilled while keeping the downstairs comfortable. This will be the third summer for it. It costs about $2 a day to run in hot weather but is well worth the expense.
7 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Is it summer 2024 yet?

Post by Cofisher » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:39 pm

I agree on the value of cooling the upstairs. Smart you took care of business while you could. Enjoy the springtime.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:08 pm

We have 80+ degree days startin Sat.
I myself like 80 degrees, some don't but I do.
Near perfect Scooter riding weather, and this gonna be a nice weekend for it. ;)

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm

I had a window unit but we have too many high 90's and +100 days here and it just couldn't keep the whole house cool on those days. Many years ago a friend who installs central A/C set me up with central A/C for just the wholesale cost of the unit. We had a record 113F day 2 years ago and it was still able to keep the temp in the mid 70's, with the window unit I had it would probably have been in the 80's.

Hopefully not being political but judging from our recent warmer Summers (and Winters) here I personally don't see it getting better anytime soon. 2 years ago we had a couple of 100 degree days in June (which absolutely ruined our cherry harvest) and last year we had a heat wave of high 90's and +100's that seemed to last for a month. With our low snow pack this year if we have a extremely hot Summer we are likely to run out of water for our irrigation. Most of the orchards and farms here get their water from the Columbia River which is not going to dry up but we get our irrigation water from a small mountain creek.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:52 am

I’m thinking yes Gene as today I plan to turn my sprinkler system on for the summer. Don’t need it this time of the year but I want to fertilize and I like to water the fertilizer in where the dogs hang out. Fingers crossed for no leaks :D
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:16 pm

I'll be turning on our irrigation in the next few days. The sky fall is still wet, but not enough to keep the gardens and lawn from drying out
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:48 pm

dave77 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm
I had a window unit but we have too many high 90's and +100 days here and it just couldn't keep the whole house cool on those days. Many years ago a friend who installs central A/C set me up with central A/C for just the wholesale cost of the unit. We had a record 113F day 2 years ago and it was still able to keep the temp in the mid 70's, with the window unit I had it would probably have been in the 80's.

Hopefully not being political but judging from our recent warmer Summers (and Winters) here I personally don't see it getting better anytime soon. 2 years ago we had a couple of 100 degree days in June (which absolutely ruined our cherry harvest) and last year we had a heat wave of high 90's and +100's that seemed to last for a month. With our low snow pack this year if we have a extremely hot Summer we are likely to run out of water for our irrigation. Most of the orchards and farms here get their water from the Columbia River which is not going to dry up but we get our irrigation water from a small mountain creek.
My window unit is about the largest you can get nowadays. It has the BTU’s to get the job done because I have a small house.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:56 pm

The house I grew up in had a large window unit that my dad had mounted permanently with a hole cut in a wall, the house had no windows that you could mount one in. It was a 220v unit and kept the the upstairs comfortable. The bedrooms were in a daylight basement and I remember them as staying comfortable even before he installed the A/C.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:46 am

dave77 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:56 pm
The house I grew up in had a large window unit that my dad had mounted permanently with a hole cut in a wall, the house had no windows that you could mount one in. It was a 220v unit and kept the the upstairs comfortable. The bedrooms were in a daylight basement and I remember them as staying comfortable even before he installed the A/C.
I thought of wall mounting one but decided the cost would be too much and I wouldn’t get any benefit from it other than not having to spend 15 minutes in the spring and 15 in the fall putting it up and taking it down.

It doesn’t get terribly hot here but it does get humid. The a/c is great at reducing the humidity so while the temperature in degrees doesn’t go down a lot the relative humidity drops about 30%.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:36 am

Growing up in Missouri we didn't have air conditioning until I was a junior or senior in high school. We just toughed it out. Summer nights we'd sleep in cots on the enclosed screened porch. Dad got a window unit and put it up in the living room area. All we had was a chiller before that. I'm sure many of you remember those.
Jake
0 x