Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Update to USMC Pistol Marksmanship

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Update to USMC Pistol Marksmanship

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:51 pm

Training for real life, not square range competition. Take from it and adapt it as you wish.

MCRP 8-10B.3

https://www.marines.mil/portals/1/Publi ... 105117-183
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Update to USMC Pistol Marksmanship

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:41 pm

Gave it a quick run thru, didn't see the qualification course, but I might have missed it. I'll go back and read it in detail some late night when I can't sleep.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:40 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:41 pm
Gave it a quick run thru, didn't see the qualification course, but I might have missed it. I'll go back and read it in detail some late night when I can't sleep.
Qual is not covered in this document. Here's what you're looking for. It rolls up rifle and pistol in the same program, and has no resemblance to what it was when I was active in the 60's-80's. Completely different.

MARINE CORPS ORDER 3574.2M , Dtd 06 Apr 2022

https://www.marines.mil/Portals/1/Publi ... 8skQ%3d%3d
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:17 pm

Won't let me read it here, but I'll try on the desktop. I was in from 77 thru 90 and had just re-up'd for six when I blew out the knee again in an icy fall. We shot the same courses I'm sure.
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 am

My local Marine Corps League used to run a series of matches at our state range each year. They had Garand matches, military bolt gun matches, and the highlight (for me) was they ran a Qualification Match every year. That match (and their others too I believe) was run using the "Dog" targets. The MCL matches were the only time I've ever fired on those targets. The guys I knew running those matches said that the current (as of early 2000s) qualification was different, which is evidenced by Gene's post with the link to that.
We shot standing, sitting, and kneeling at 200 yards, some strings were rapid fire, but standing was not. Then back to 300 for prone rapid, and prone slow too, since the range only went to 300. Another thing that was different, at least for me, was that the target only went to 5 points, not 10. The 50 shot match had a possible of 250.
They kept this match open only to members of the Marine Corps League teams from the state, and had invited guests participate on occasion, which is how I was able to participate. At the end of the match, scores were compiled, there was an awards ceremony, and they gave out what I thought were year bars for the qualification medals, or upgraded medals to those that earned them. One of my most prominently displayed awards, in a display case at home, is the Expert Rifleman badge that I was given at that match.
Talking to some younger guys that are in now, the whole process is different and much more real-life based with unknown distances and pop-up targets.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:08 pm

rickhem wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:24 am
My local Marine Corps League used to run a series of matches at our state range each year. They had Garand matches, military bolt gun matches, and the highlight (for me) was they ran a Qualification Match every year. That match (and their others too I believe) was run using the "Dog" targets. The MCL matches were the only time I've ever fired on those targets. The guys I knew running those matches said that the current (as of early 2000s) qualification was different, which is evidenced by Gene's post with the link to that.
We shot standing, sitting, and kneeling at 200 yards, some strings were rapid fire, but standing was not. Then back to 300 for prone rapid, and prone slow too, since the range only went to 300. Another thing that was different, at least for me, was that the target only went to 5 points, not 10. The 50 shot match had a possible of 250.
They kept this match open only to members of the Marine Corps League teams from the state, and had invited guests participate on occasion, which is how I was able to participate. At the end of the match, scores were compiled, there was an awards ceremony, and they gave out what I thought were year bars for the qualification medals, or upgraded medals to those that earned them. One of my most prominently displayed awards, in a display case at home, is the Expert Rifleman badge that I was given at that match.
Talking to some younger guys that are in now, the whole process is different and much more real-life based with unknown distances and pop-up targets.
There's also some hardware coming in to use in the last few years. A rifle optic from SmartShooter dubbed SMASH. Being used in limited numbers in several militaries. It essentially makes everyone a sniper. Extraordinary capabilities, including target tracking and lock on, night vision, etc.. And it mounts to a standard picatinny rail.

Quite a lot of info about it here:

https://www.smart-shooter.com/
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:10 pm

I was able to read through the new range info. It sounds more complicated than it probably is since the rifles are equiped with optics. I shot expert at every trip to the range with open sights and all my shots on the 500 were gravy. I loved the slowfire on the 500. The butts loved me. Stuck in the first spotter and never moved it. All my rounds hit the spotter after that. It's why the squadrons always had me coach weaker shooters.

If we hadn't been aviation, I would probably have become much more involved in "Real" competition instead of squadron teams when we had time. I enjoyed it though.

If there are Marines on the boards here that have shot the new course that care to comment, how difficult is the course if you are a halfway decent shot and know anything about trigger control and don't get excited under pressure?
1 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:43 am

That "don't get excited under pressure" part is a pretty big deal actually.
It's uncanny how we can get into our own heads sometimes.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:40 am

rickhem wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:43 am
That "don't get excited under pressure" part is a pretty big deal actually.
It's uncanny how we can get into our own heads sometimes.
The trick is learning how to manage it, and make it work for you. Some people can learn to do that, some can't. The difference can determine whether you live or die. :)
1 x