Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Local Gun Shops

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Local Gun Shops

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:19 am

Marine, thank-you for sharing that. What a wonderful story from a time when the world was a very different place for kids. I grew up in that era, too, and looking back, we kids had an amazing amount of freedom compared to kids these days.

I remember us running around the neighborhood with BB guns, pellet rifles and sling shots and no one questioned it at all. We were just being normal kids, right? Later we would ride our bikes out into the country taking our 22s with us for an afternoon of shooting 22s down at the creek. Just what kids did in our small rural town in those days.

I'm sure that somewhere in this country kids still do this, but you'd have to search hard to find that place. I often look back, now, and wonder how it all disappeared. Not getting political, here. Just being grateful that I had that freedom.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:16 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 am
One of my favorite memories from my childhood, involves a local gun shop....

... I spent a lot of time in that gun shop during that two years we lived there. When we finally left, the gunsmith's wife got tears in my hair. I think I left some on her apron. I learned a lot during that time. Mostly about the way you should treat people.

I can still summon the smells of that shop late at night when it's quiet and the house is asleep. Leather, hoppes, gun oil and pipe smoke.
It's easy to tell that you're an avid reader because you're also a talented writer. I love to read your stories. Thanks for sharing this one.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:27 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:16 pm
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:14 am
One of my favorite memories from my childhood, involves a local gun shop....

... I spent a lot of time in that gun shop during that two years we lived there. When we finally left, the gunsmith's wife got tears in my hair. I think I left some on her apron. I learned a lot during that time. Mostly about the way you should treat people.

I can still summon the smells of that shop late at night when it's quiet and the house is asleep. Leather, hoppes, gun oil and pipe smoke.
It's easy to tell that you're an avid reader because you're also a talented writer. I love to read your stories. Thanks for sharing this one.

Thanks, my wife explains it differently. She says I'm full of it. :o
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:58 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:19 am
I remember us running around the neighborhood with BB guns, pellet rifles and sling shots and no one questioned it at all. We were just being normal kids, right? Later we would ride our bikes out into the country taking our 22s with us for an afternoon of shooting 22s down at the creek. Just what kids did in our small rural town in those days.
Likewise when I was a kid.
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:00 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am
The man behind the counter seemed annoyed that I disturbed his reading ...
There's a gun shop in Carefree AZ like that.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:58 pm

The gun shop owner paid me in 22 long rifle because my friends and I were allowed to run up and down the river and plink. We shot acorns, pine cones, small sticks. We never shot things we weren't supposed to... We knew the consequences, and we weren't worried about law enforcement. :lol:
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.