Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Credit Card Purchases

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Credit Card Purchases

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:18 pm

Just curious are you seeing small amounts added to your bill at a restaurant, retailer, or any other place of business in your areas. It seems to be something taking place more frequently now in this area anyway. I havent noticed this as much in Colorado but down here this year its been regular. Most places are charging 2.5% up charge if you use a card. Some places even do this with a debit card which I thought was illegal. But they are doing it. Kinda makes those cash back cards less desirable
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Credit Card Purchases

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:14 pm

I pay for almost everything with a credit card these days; partly for the cash back rewards and partly for the security of the transaction, but I have never carried a balance. It's paid fully each month. But, I also carry cash in case the vendor wants to avoid its own fees for taking credit card payments by charging back its customers. So far, it's been rare here with local businesses, but it's likely to increase.

Everybody wants our money. Even so-called billionaires are relentlessly asking paycheck-to-paycheck people to contribute to their ever-growing legal fees. And, sadly, they do.

Love this song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0kcet4aPpQ
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:00 pm

A credit card surcharge is common with ma and pa stores around here. Many places only take cash.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:05 pm

The only time I've noticed it was at a restaurant in Sutherland OR we sometimes frequent when traveling south.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:50 pm

Yes, I have notice a couple of restaurants doing that around here. I did ask about it. I was told that it was to cover administrative cost. So, I stop going to them. Yet, I happened to be at one, for an office get together. There was not a surcharge. I guess prices went up to cover administrative cost?
Last edited by GFK on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:00 pm

Im sure you know this but CC companies charge the businesses 5% to use there service. That comes out of their pocket. Some places figure that into there price of goods and services and some places dont. So alot of places are now charging a 2.5% or more up charge on the bill to use that card. I have cards that pay cash back of 4% if I use there card at a restaurant. Sounds good if you are the card holder but if they add a 2.5% upcharge it aint as good as it once was.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:00 pm

I charge my customers 4% on credit card use, but I am running $10,000.00 at ago. That’s our draw amount for our custom vehicle business. I’m not eating $350 on every transaction. Most of our builds run $70-$80,000 and if I was nice to everyone, I’d lose $2,500 or more per project. Most people do electronic transfers, but some really want their miles. I offer CC use only as a courtesy.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:46 pm

Yes, a credit card is an interesting thing. Nowadays, most people do not walk around with $100s or $1,000s of dollars in their pocket. Yet, they wants services or products, and businesses want to sell their service or product, to make a living. So, there should be a win, win for all concern.

I was looking to purchase vehicle for my daugther, it was for a few thousands. The dealership wanted to charge me extra for using a card. So, I said that I would write a check. After some discussion, the manager decided to accept the card and not apply a card usage fee. To me, it is the cost of doing business. The product of service should be priced to cover the cost of providing the service or product. As a option, offering a cash price (discount) may be appealing to some. That is a thing that I like about Buds Gun Shop. It offers a cash price. So, a person can choose if he or she wants to pay a surcharge. To me, that is more acceptable than going up (surcharge) on the cost to provide a service or product. Mind you, I have not had a business that I made a living with. But, I would factoring the cost of providing a service or product then the margin of profit that I desired. If a person was willing and able to pay cash, I would look at cutting the price due to not using a card. Of course, a card may be better than a check, at least you know you will get some money. Yet, checks can be ran like a card now. So, it might not be a bad way to go.

With cash, there is no paper trail. The possessor is the owner. Therefore, a concealed carry may be require. Being the case, a credit card may the the preferred way of doing business. As such, I would price my product or service accordingly.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:53 am

I mostly use my debit card. Don't seem to be any places around here with a surcharge other than the county courthouse that charges a fee for using a card for car tabs and property taxes. Fred Myer does have a small surcharge if you want cash back.

I recently heard that if you are using a credit/debit card someplace like a gas pump where a scanner could have been placed it's safer to use tap to pay as that generates a unique code each time it's used.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:56 am

Likewise, I use the tap feature wherever its available.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234