Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What type of "gun nut" are you?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Re: What type of "gun nut" are you?

Post by cooperhawk » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:09 pm

That looks like a miniature Python. I'll bet it kicks like a mule.
1 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm

I'm the type of " gun nut " that is just happy to have a small collection. A variety of handguns and rifles in different calibers including air rifles, .177 & .20 cal. to powder burners from .22 rimfire to a .50 cal. S&W. The one I handle the most is easily my 9mm edc.

I don't really see myself purchasing any more guns. Then again, I believe I've said that before. πŸ€”
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:05 pm

cooperhawk wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:09 pm
That looks like a miniature Python. I'll bet it kicks like a mule.
It is a little heavier than my King Cobra Carry, https://colt.com/detail-page/colt-king- ... ra-sb2bb-s, which has a bit of a kick. So, this one may be just about right. It reminds me of my S&W.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:34 pm

It's also just a touch heavier than my Kimber K6s 357. Yes, you can expect recoil in something so light, but the grip is very important, there. I replaced the wood grips on my Kimber and went with Hogue rubber grips. Huge difference. The grip on the Rossi looks similar. if you're carrying it for something other than self-defense against a bear (why I have the Kimber 357), you can still load it up with some +P 38s. Lots of very good SD loads in 38 +P these days.
1 x

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:42 pm

markiver54 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm
I don't really see myself purchasing any more guns. Then again, I believe I've said that before. πŸ€”
I'm pretty sure we were still in the 20th century when I said that for the first time. It may have been the honest truth as I knew it at that point, but it's just never stood the test of time.
2 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:22 am

I’m not addicted to buying new guns. I could stop anytime I wanted.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:26 am

markiver54 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm

. . . I don't really see myself purchasing any more guns. Then again, I believe I've said that before. πŸ€”
I have thought that before too. Then, I walk into a LGS or see something online and decide that I have a reason for another firearm. In fact, I may have another reason now, even though I have not picked this one up yet.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:34 am

North Country Gal wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:34 pm
It's also just a touch heavier than my Kimber K6s 357. Yes, you can expect recoil in something so light, but the grip is very important, there. I replaced the wood grips on my Kimber and went with Hogue rubber grips. Huge difference. The grip on the Rossi looks similar. if you're carrying it for something other than self-defense against a bear (why I have the Kimber 357), you can still load it up with some +P 38s. Lots of very good SD loads in 38 +P these days.
My thought is home defense. It is a little lighter than my S&W, which has pretty much no kick, but a little heavier than my Colt, which has some kick. So, I suspect this one will be somewhere in between, which should be fairly mild. In any case, I suspect that it will be fun to shoot!
0 x

rickhem
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rickhem » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:18 am

I've got my fair share, and there are those that would label me as a "gun nut", but in my mind, almost everything I have was purchased to fulfill a need. Mostly those were just getting a better tool for a job, but some were because having been in and around some different circles, I know the value of those tools in those circles, and who can walk away from a good deal when you find one?
I bought my Henry BBS in .357 for just such a situation. Many years ago, one gun club where I shot HP and Hunter Pistol Silhouette was also going to run the cowboy silhouette course of fire. I've always thought that a .357 would make a good choice for that, with all the available bullets in that size. I already loaded .38 Special for a target revolver, and had a 686, so it would be easy to feed. The Marlin 1894 Cowboy Competition was me desire back then, but it was never available. The Cowboy silhouette never really caught on, so the club stopped holding those matches, and my "need" went away too. Fast forward to last year and I found my Henry on the rack at my LGS. It even had the Skinner peep on it already. I didn't buy it that day, but looked at it twice more before finally making it mine. My thought is to use it for deer hunting here in NY, where shots in the woods are almost always under 75 yards. It's a bit heavier, which helps for shooting offhand, but a hunting gun can be lighter and work just as well. I haven't shot at anything but paper and steel with it yet, but it's in the rotation now, and I'm glad I scratched that old itch and got it.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:06 am

Vaquero wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:19 pm
Hey Al, no mention of them smoke poles. ;) :lol:

;)

RP
Yup those smoke poles are tons of fun. But they didnt get much attention last year. I even have a new one that I didnt get shot. And I dont need to fill out paperwork for those which is a huge plus to me
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55