Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Throwing a Monkey Wrench in Things

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Throwing a Monkey Wrench in Things

Post by Handloader » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:25 am

I have certifications in metallurgy, NDT, specialized welding, metals x-ray and a few others dealing with metals. I have several Henrys with brass receivers and have used an XRF to actually see what Henry brass receivers are made of. When I first got my Henry 45/70 over 10 years ago, I was looking for a brass or steel scope mount. All I could find ones that were made from aluminum. Brass and aluminum contact is a no-no as it causes galvanic corrosion. I know that many of the scope mounts are powder coated or painted which is a good thing initially and delays the corrosion. The main thing is to be aware of the issue between aluminum and brass. Take off your scope mounts and check yearly and ensure there is a nonconductive coating between the mount and brass is good. Oils, cleaners, temperature and weather can affect the coating and break it down between the brass and aluminum.

Below is a good site that does a good explanation of the issue between brass and aluminum.
https://gluethings.com/how-can-we-preve ... and-brass/
1 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

SuperSixEvo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Throwing a Monkey Wrench in Things

Post by SuperSixEvo » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:56 pm

Handloader wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:25 am
I have certifications in metallurgy, NDT, specialized welding, metals x-ray and a few others dealing with metals. I have several Henrys with brass receivers and have used an XRF to actually see what Henry brass receivers are made of. When I first got my Henry 45/70 over 10 years ago, I was looking for a brass or steel scope mount. All I could find ones that were made from aluminum. Brass and aluminum contact is a no-no as it causes galvanic corrosion. I know that many of the scope mounts are powder coated or painted which is a good thing initially and delays the corrosion. The main thing is to be aware of the issue between aluminum and brass. Take off your scope mounts and check yearly and ensure there is a nonconductive coating between the mount and brass is good. Oils, cleaners, temperature and weather can affect the coating and break it down between the brass and aluminum.

Below is a good site that does a good explanation of the issue between brass and aluminum.
https://gluethings.com/how-can-we-preve ... and-brass/
I never knew this! Thanks for sharing.
1 x