Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Our Morning Coffee and Weather

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Our mornin Coffee and Weather

Post by Vaquero » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:37 am

Morning all, last week in sunny Fla., it's 66º here this morning and going up to 84 this afternoon.
Hope everyone has a good Moanday.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 am

It's going to be 44 f and rainy. Coffee is in the Henry mug.

Les, thank you for answering Cate's questions in the way you did. It was interesting to learn this.

JCN, if you are curious, just google your question. I just did. I got lots of interesting information. You are welcome to PM Les or any members from there and have a private discussion.

Enjoy your day.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

I will! Crazy stuff.

Good morning all. Cold here in Southern Nevada. Stay warm all....
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: LES in the UK - Questions please. Thank you.

Post by Catherine » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 am

Les wrote:
Catherine wrote:
Les wrote:It's 34° and sunny - time to go airgunning! :D
I hope that you have a good time! :)

Les, did they change some more gun laws in the UK within the last 6 months to 1 year?
They keep fiddling around with the rules and laws, but I don't know of anything recently to cause any more tears. They are talking about introducing a licensing system for air rifles, but at this stage it's just conjecture. Scotland has already introduced a licensing system for air rifles.

Certain groups would like to see firearms outlawed completely, and unfortunately we don't have a 2nd amendment to fall back on.

Firearm style or load capacity for a rifle or shotgun?
We are not allowed any full-auto weapons at all, or semi-auto over .22 rimfire. We have a firearms certificate (FAC) and a shotgun certificate (SGC). There are several sub-sections to the firearms cert, but the shotguncert is a bit more straight forward. We can have a shotgun with a maximum capacity of 3 rounds (1 in the breech and two in a magazine) on a normal SGC (shotgun cert). Shotguns with a higher magazine capacity are available on a section 1 (firearms) certificate.

There are sections of our firearms laws that allow the use of full-auto firearms, but they are only allowed in extreme circumstances .... and I have no clear idea about what those circumstances might be.

The European Union are trying to limit magazine capacities to less than 10 rounds. If they had their way, all guns would be banned, but there is not much chance of that - I hope.

We can no longer buy 'normal' handguns - apart from black powder pistols. We can buy "long barreled revolvers or pistols". They must have a barrel at least 12" long, and the overall length must not be less than 24", so they will have an extention arm on the grip to make up the length to 24". If you Google long barreled revolvers, you'll see what I mean.

We cannot buy semi-automatic pistols over .22RF. We can buy revolvers up to .50 cal, as long as we can justify a 'need' and as long as they are at least 24" long.

Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man - both part of the UK - can buy normal pistols of any caliber on their FAC ..... a fact which leaves the rest of us spitting feathers. :lol:

Limit on how much ammunition that you can have on hand (Properly stored of course.) or with any reloading supplies?
The ammunition limit is set on a case by case basis. Somebody who shoots .22 rimfire at the top level might have a limit of 5000 - 10k rounds, but 1k to 2k is usually the norm. Centrefire limits are usually a lot lower - perhaps with a max of 500.
I don't know how the reloaders get on. I know that they can hold plenty of cases, and plenty of bullets, but I don't know what their completed round limit is. I'm guessing that it's similar to normal ammunition limits. I don't get involved in the dark arts. ;)

The shotgun shell limit is probably around 10k.

Purchase limits on how much that you can buy at one time?
As above.

Types of ammunition allowed?
We can actually buy quite a selection of firearms, from .22RF to .50 BMG. There is a large black powder lobby too, with various calibers. We need to "show a need" for any firearm that we purchase. This would normally be target shooting, although .223/243/308 etc is frequently used for hunting. For target shooting, we need to be a member of a registered club. One of the clubs I attend has frequent shooting days on Ministry of Defence (Army etc) firing ranges, so that greatly increases the caliber of rifle available to us.

The hunting fraternity must either have land of their own, or be allowed to shoot on other peoples land. The land must be passed by the police for the caliber used i.e., you can't use a .50 BMG on land that is only passed for .243 etc.

Strangely enough, all of our firearm and shotgun laws don't seem to stop the criminals from obtaing any sort of firearm that they want .... something that tends to make the honest shooters hot under the collar, because we get penalised by increased legislation for any wrong-doing.

Any more changes in your knife laws?
It is illegal to sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less. It is also illegal to carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife, use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife) etc. It doesn't stop the delinquents from carrying knives, though. They just use one of their Mum's kitchen knives. ;)

Certain areas of the country have a lot of cases of knife crime, but up until the present time I don't know of any planned changes to the current laws.

Thanks and take care.

Cate
Les,

Outstanding report and explanation of your gun laws! Thank you!

I thought that some more restrictions had been placed on gun and knife folks in the UK.

Good shooting to you and have a good day.

Cate
0 x

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm

60 today calling for 70 tomorrow. record high temperatures predicted. I'll take it for the middle of February.
0 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:25 pm

I'm jealous. Been really cold here in the desert.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 am

-42f this morning at 5am. Weather supposed to start a slow climb back up tomorrow. Tea in Henry mug.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:57 pm

RanchRoper wrote:-42f this morning at 5am. Weather supposed to start a slow climb back up tomorrow. Tea in Henry mug.
Is that ice tea? :lol:
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Ha! -12 now, feels pretty good.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Guess I'll stop complaining about 47 and sunny.
0 x