Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sunset of gasoline powered vehicles ?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: Sunset of gasoline powered vehicles ?

Post by 220 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:15 am

fortyshooter wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 pm
Waiting on the time machine thing so I can go back to the 60's !!! Remember when they tried the propane deal for cars and truck back in the 70's ? That didn't last long either. I just don't see total sun and wind power running cold cities in the middle of winter or during the high heat of summer!
We had them right up until the death of our auto manufacturing industry a few years ago.
Most gas stations had bowsers right along side the normal bowsers. Ford kept developing the local six cylinder for LPG as we call it right along side the regular gas versions up until all development stopped down under. They were hugely popular as taxis, in the end with the technology available the LPG versions were the most powerful naturally asperated six cylinders out performing those running on regular gasoline.

To give you an idea the last of the i6 Barra Eco Lpi engines featured liquid phase injection and produced 266hp & 302lb-ft, the regular gasoline version 261hp & 288lb-ft. Not to bad for a engine that started life as the thriftpower six in the 1959 ford falcon compact in the USA making 84hp & 134lb-ft.

Getting off track but the Barra engines are gaining a bit of traction in the USA with the modified car crowd, ford aus also offered a turbo version the last of which made 500hp. Modified the Barra i6 is now being pushed to over 2000hp with plenty of street legal daily drivers making over 1000hp.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:10 am

I think I will buy a tow truck (gas). Anticipated high demand. Will be a lot of dead batteries out there.
0 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:47 am

Our garbage company has a fleet of about fifty trucks and they are all diesel Macks converted to run on natural gas.
They have a pipe line tap right in their yard. They say they run just fine.
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66