Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Perseverance - the hunt for life on mars

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Re: Perseverance - the hunt for life on mars

Post by Vaquero » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:13 pm
RanchRoper wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:18 pm
BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:55 pm
I hope they do find something there. We need a place to send a few folks that are here making life miserable here for us good people. I have a list that will take a while to get through depending on how many seats are in that rocket.
Why stop at Mars, I hear Pluto is nice this time of year.
Pluto already has fleas.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: RIGHT!!

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:10 pm

remarkable achievement .... the advances in technology used in this project so far are nothing short of amazing
0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:12 pm

They said it left Earth last July, 2020. What took so long, it was
shipped, USPS.
1 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:45 pm

I don't mean to be a downer. But, why spend money searching for things hundreds of thousands of miles away when people here are suffering? Could not that money (or debt) be used to help people here (that we know are alive)? I am not proposing a welfare system: maybe a skill training program (electrician, plumber, computer repair, auto mechanic, etc.). It just seem like a more productive way to spend money. If another planet is found suitable, will everyone on earth be eligible for a trip in outer space? What would be the next step or phase? Maybe, I am missing something?
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:09 pm

I think there looking for a planet where we dont need to wear a mask and we can keep our guns.
5 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:29 pm

Well, if they were looking for intelligent life, they could have checked the Henry forum, right!! :lol:
1 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm

This whole endeavor is amazing, but the one thing that stood out to me, was the helicopter. How they got this rascal to fly in that very thin atmosphere is awesome. Took it 6 yrs in the making.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:36 pm

Makes me want a glass of Tang.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 pm

GFK wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:45 pm
I don't mean to be a downer. But, why spend money searching for things hundreds of thousands of miles away when people here are suffering? Could not that money (or debt) be used to help people here (that we know are alive)? I am not proposing a welfare system: maybe a skill training program (electrician, plumber, computer repair, auto mechanic, etc.). It just seem like a more productive way to spend money. If another planet is found suitable, will everyone on earth be eligible for a trip in outer space? What would be the next step or phase? Maybe, I am missing something?
Ventures like this create 10's of thousands of well paying careers in many areas. Somebody has to design and build everything that it takes to put a rover on Mars. NASA is only part of it (they're the customer), and they pay the contractors that provide the nuts and bolts, sheet metal, electronics, software, design, machinery, testing, and on and on. The list is almost endless. I worked for Boeing Commercial for 15 years, and I can verify that it takes in the vicinity of 25,000 people just to assemble 777's and other wide body jet liners in just one plant. Counting all the suppliers employees around the world probably well over 100,000 people are involved in it directly and indirectly.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:05 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 pm
GFK wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:45 pm
Ventures like this create 10's of thousands of well paying careers in many areas. Somebody has to design and build everything that it takes to put a rover on Mars. NASA is only part of it (they're the customer), and they pay the contractors that provide the nuts and bolts, sheet metal, electronics, software, design, machinery, testing, and on and on. The list is almost endless. I worked for Boeing Commercial for 15 years, and I can verify that it takes in the vicinity of 25,000 people just to assemble 777's and other wide body jet liners in just one plant. Counting all the suppliers employees around the world probably well over 100,000 people are involved in it directly and indirectly.
So, the end goal in creating a product that goes hundreds of thousands of miles is to take samples? To what end? The 100,000 people is a start. But, there is about 7,000,000,000 people on this planet. So, some are missing out of the tax dollars being spent to take samples. But, it is what it is.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).