Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Is there a "trigger smoothing" thread?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Is there a "trigger smoothing" thread?

Post by beaverislander » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:46 pm

Does anyone know where I could find info pertaining to the smoothing of a Henry trigger? I hate to complain but the one on my H001L is very rough and I'd like to see how others have smoothed them out. I've probably put about 500 rounds through it.
Thanks
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Is there a "trigger smoothing" thread?

Post by JEBar » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:53 pm

triggers on Henry levers aren't designed to be adjusted .... to do so, they have to be honed .... the process they use for making the parts is such that very little material can be removed .... we have several members who have the experience and talent to hone them, I'm about as from from being one of them as it is possible to be .... consequently, I've paid a gunsmith who I trust to hone the triggers on our 45-70 and 44 Mag .... he did a magnificent job .... I learned from him that many gunsmith will not hone such trigger actions for liability reasons
0 x

beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by beaverislander » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 pm

JEBar wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:53 pm
triggers on Henry levers aren't designed to be adjusted .... to do so, they have to be honed .... the process they use for making the parts is such that very little material can be removed .... we have several members who have the experience and talent to hone them, I'm about as from from being one of them as it is possible to be .... consequently, I've paid a gunsmith who I trust to hone the triggers on our 45-70 and 44 Mag .... he did a magnificent job .... I learned from him that many gunsmith will not hone such trigger actions for liability reasons
Thank you for the reply.... and that also answers the bigger question of can I/should I try it. I had thought about contacting Henry but didn't want to bother them, maybe I should at least give them a call. Would you consider 500 rounds enough to smooth it out if it was going to?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I dont think Henry will do anything with the trigger because it opens up the door for liability issues. As Jim mentioned I would try to find a gunsmith in your area that might look at it for you. Maybe you have a local guns store there that could recommend one.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by beaverislander » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:05 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:44 pm
I dont think Henry will do anything with the trigger because it opens up the door for liability issues. As Jim mentioned I would try to find a gunsmith in your area that might look at it for you. Maybe you have a local guns store there that could recommend one.
No such luck, I'm on a small island 32 miles out in Lake Michigan. No guns or ammo, no FFL's. I did e-mail Henry but it sounds like I may have to just get used to it. That's OK though, I just ventilate tin cans with it.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:11 pm

"I just ventilate tin cans with it". 'islander, I'd say you're doing pretty good then. Hopefully it will smooth up some.
1 x

ol'pole
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ol'pole » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:44 pm

I've got less than 200 rounds thru mine and the trigger is as smooth as the prom queen's inner thigh
1 x
I love my country but I fear my government

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 am

I would order another trigger and then hone the one you have. Watch videos and if you are mechanically inclined it will come out fine. If not throw the new one in it.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

beaverislander
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by beaverislander » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm

I dropped Henry an email and they said send it back and they'd "take a look see." It went in just before Christmas and I got it back today. After inspection they put in a new trigger and hammer.....I am very pleased with it and can't say enough about their customer service. This was for the .22. I still don't have the 357 that is waiting for me at my brothers house, but now in addition to all the other restrictions my wife just called to tell me the governor of Michigan put a 9pm curfew on us. Being that I can't stay awake past 8pm, I doubt it will affect me.

By the way, the trigger is excellent!
1 x

cooperhawk
Drover
United States of America

Post by cooperhawk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:19 pm

WTH! A nine O'clock curfew? Is she nuts. :o
0 x
Retired FAA Air Traffic Control Supervisor
VFW (Life Member), VVA (Life Member)
Legion (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)
U S Army Aviation 64-67, Vietnam MACV 65-66