Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tom Turkey

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Tom Turkey

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:33 pm

I have a friend down near Madison. Yes, lots of wildlife areas.

We had three hens wander through the yard, today.
1 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:52 pm

Turkey seaso starts tge 15th and am i going... so much fun to be in the spring woods and watchveverything wake up and get going... and hearing those gobbles is fun and exciting.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:05 pm

Jdl447 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:34 pm
About the only non waterfowl bird to hunt in Ohio. Used to be grouse and quail but they seem to have gone extinct since the blizzard of ‘78.
We still have quail but doesn't seem to be nearly as many as there used to be. Didn't used to see many doves, I always heard our native doves stayed at higher altitudes. Starting a few years ago started seeing Eurasian collared doves and now they're in my back yard all the time. I wonder if that's why the quail population is down.

https://columbiabasinherald.com/news/20 ... ared-dove/

Back when I was still riding Ruby my neighbors little black lab Willie lived to go with us. Most of my riding was along the orchard roads or the hillside game trails. Willie knew where every quail covey hid out and he loved flushing them out, when he was young he probably covered 5 times the distance Ruby and I covered. As he got older he was content to stay close to us with only the occasional quail chase.

I have seen a pheasant rooster a couple of times this year and pigeons are still plentiful in town, which reminds me of this meme I had saved. :lol:

1 x