Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A warning for the ladies - purse carry

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

A warning for the ladies - purse carry

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:05 am

Purse carry is popular with the ladies. But requires extra care. A woman in Nashville accidentally killed her 13yo daughter a few days ago while searching for her keys in her purse. Which is also where she carried her loaded chamber .40 cal pistol sans holster. Don't let this happen to your loved ones.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-allege ... 43459.html
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A warning for the ladies

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:16 am

This can be avoided by buying a proper ccw purse with a separate section for the revolver or semi-auto which is usually velcro lined. This allows the owner to swap out holsters and mag pouches for the EDC of the day, or from purse to purse. Miss T as a couple like this. One has a muff style access, one top zippered, another is side zippered. All hold the handguns securely, in the same position all the time, away from the purse contents...

The major thing I told MY ccw students about this type of carry is you must always maintain control of the bag. Can't walk away from the shopping cart to check out the lettuce with the purse in the little seat, can't turn you back on the stroller for a minute with the purse hanging on the handle, or drape it over the chair back in the restaurant while having lunch with a gaggle of friends in a crowded restaurant.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: A warning for the ladies - purse carry

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:21 am

Very tragic...but very avoidable. This a case of irresponsible gun ownership and carry.
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:29 am

Okay, no smart alec comments, guys, but I would never put anything I need to find quick in my purse. :)

Really, though, the reason I have never carried a gun in my purse is that I have lived in areas where purse snatching is very common. Have seen these thieves in action, so I decided long ago that if I carry a gun, it stays with me, not the purse.

As for what I carry, I've carried micro 9s and compact 45 autos, but I just keep coming back to the KISS principal of keeping it simple with small DA only 38 revolvers like my Kimber. I enjoy shooting it and I do practice with it. I'm very comfortable with it.
6 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:32 pm

If had to be a semi-auto in a purse a DA pull would be the choice but still carried in a holster. Yep I like the revolver plan also!
However after reading the report...." Didn't know it was loaded" is crazy stuff. Why would you carry an unloaded pistol in your purse?
Treat all guns as loaded!
1 x

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

If my wife had to carry a gun in her purse, they would have to send a search party to find it.
1 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

I won’t comment on the lack of intelligence of the unfortunate woman, other than saying that she should not continue to breed, but this sort of carry violates a prime safety rule about muzzle awareness, always knowing where the gun would send a bullet in the event of a negligent discharge….

Next, where did she get the gun? And how could she not know it was loaded? I predict upcoming criminal charges…

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

John E Davies wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am
I predict upcoming criminal charges…
I predict you are correct!
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

I agree, a purse is not an ideal place to carry a firearm. Yet, it was probably not illegal either. Is it neglect? It depends, would a reasonable or typically woman carry a firearm in her purse? Maybe. Would a well trained or knowable woman carry a firearm in her purse? To NCG's point, probably not.

I agree with Marine's point also, positive control should be kept over the firearm as well. In an purse, that could be a challenge. Typically, it is set down somewhere. A person should be accountable for every bullet that leaves his/her firearm (if not reported stolen), whether in their possession or not. So, involuntary manslaughter may be appropriate. But, I am not expert of the law.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

I don’t carry anymore because it’s a big nuisance. I think I would carry more if I could open carry. It’s the concealed that makes it difficult. Open carry is legal here but that doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

Having concealed carry for many decades I know what to look for and can usually spot someone that is carrying. Most of my neighbors carry and I bet at least 50 of the 300 in church carry.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater