Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hey! Any elctricians aboard?

Sit back and talk with friends. Same rules as before. Rule #1-Relax with friends on the front or back porch.
Rule #2-No Politics, religion or anything above a G level.
Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Hey! Any elctricians aboard?

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:11 pm

I have an old lathe and all of a sudden my on/off switch doesn't work. I can turn it off and it still runs. Okay, so I ordered and new switch and wired it incorrectly because the breaker tripped. The old switch has poles with the white wire on the bottom on one side with the black on top. The other side has two black wires (?) top and bottom. I didn't wire it originally as I purchased it that way. My new switch has the "load" on the one side and "line" on the other. I think that "load" is the side that goes to the motor and "line" is the side that has the power coming to it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jake
Attachments
IMG_20221205_150542633.jpg
IMG_20221205_150542633.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 309 times
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Hey! Any elctricians aboard?

Post by Mags » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:58 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:11 pm
... My new switch has the "load" on the one side and "line" on the other. I think that "load" is the side that goes to the motor and "line" is the side that has the power coming to it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jake
that is correct
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:08 pm

When in doubt, I would use a multi meter (they can be very cheap and still do this job) and ring it out- See which contacts have continuity make and break as the switch is operated. Black wires are generally hot on machines, the white one is probably a return line to provide for a light.. Is the switch illuminated when it's on?
Anyway, to avoid further surprises I'd check continuity and make a note of how it works. Then connect it up.
2 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:23 pm

I looked up the wiring diagram and got it working. I was right the first time but don't know why it was tripping the breaker. I guess I didn't have a wire tightened down or perhaps something touching that should not have been. Thanks for all the replies.
Jake
1 x