Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry Double barrel shotgun

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Henry Double barrel shotgun

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm

I love the CZ products actually made by CZ in the Czech Republic as well as some of the other gun companies under their name, such as Dan Wesson. (DWs are made here in the U.S. in NY.) The Turkish made CZ shotguns are actually a value as doubles go, even at those prices, simply because doubles are the most expensive type of shotgun you can buy.

From experience in my bird hunting days when I was younger, though, I learned how expensive a good double or O/U is and why you paid to get it, but I was willing to do it.The bargain doubles some of my friends and other shooters I knew tried were sometimes iffy as far as functioning and shooting to POA. They all eventually went back to Remington 870s or 1100s and got 100% reliability and guns that shot where they pointed them.

Cowboy, there was a day when all major U.S.gun makers offered doubles. They ranged in quality from utility grade farm type guns to some of the finest quality shotguns ever produced. Only the better quality guns achieved collectibility status and appreciated in value. Those Savage-Stevens doubles were in that utility grade category. When you got a good one, they were solid shooters, but they were mass produced with a minimum of hand fitting to keep the prices affordable. Those prices you were quoted reflect the prices they sold for in their day and the fact that they never achieved collectibility status. Doesn't mean your gun is a cheap or bad gun in any way. As long as it shoots for you, keep it.

The reason no one makes a double in the U.S., anymore, is largely because of production costs and ultimately lack of demand, meaning fewer and fewer shooters have been willing to pay what it takes to make one that is reliable and that shoots to point of aim, when they can buy a pump or double that shoots just as well or better for a fraction of the price. The other issue for gun makers is servicing doubles when they come in for repair because of the expertise required and lack of personnel who know how to work on them.
3 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:29 am

Because the 16 gauge has become somewhat of an orphan as for as getting ammo and the types of loads for it. A three inch 20 gauge will do anything that a sixteen will do in a lighter shotgun.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:23 pm

I’m in the market for both a 20 and 12 gauge but both in over/under flavor. If Henry built them, I’d be ordering now. As it is, I’m going with a Winchester 101 and Stevens 555E.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:52 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:38 pm
If US Doubles are that expensive, I'm wondering why my US Made Stevens-Savage 16 Gauge is not worth more than it is?

I've been told approx $300 or $400.
Brand name most likely. They are good guns, just don't demand as much on the market. I've owned a couple over the years, served me as well as a RemChester.
2 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:10 pm

Browning Citori for an O/U. SxS, that's a crap shoot. As mentioned before, it's the regulating of the barrels, lock up and double firing on less expensive models. O/U and SxS's both. Buyer beware.
0 x

Grunt67
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Grunt67 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:25 am

I could be interested in a Henry SxS, in a 16 ga. Always had a fondness for the 16. Not popular anymore tho.
0 x
I rarely ever buy a rifle, but when I do, it's a Henry.

"Every day above ground, is a good day" ( Al Capone )

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Team Roper » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:03 am

Had a 20 ga. Browning Citori Featherlight one time. Couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with it. My poor beagle ran a rabbit around to me three times and each time I got two shots off at the rabbit. On the last time around, I thought my last shot finally got the rabbit. I got it home, cleaned it and found no pellet holes anywhere. The poor thing died of heart failure. Sold the Browning and went back to my 20 ga. 1100.
I believe manufactures getting rid of the Sweet 16 was a big mistake.
2 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.