Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Savage 24D Series P

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Savage 24D Series P

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:15 pm

I didn't find any where to post a combination gun so I put it here. This is a Savage 24D I bought new in around 1975. It is a 20 Ga. 3" Magnum and a 22 LR. I cut the stock off and added a recoil pad and refinished the stock as soon as I bought it. I could tell there was some decent wood hidden under the factory finish. That finish has lasted all these years and still looks very nice for it's age. Lightened the trigger and added a trigger shoe. Weaver steel tube 4x that I believe I put on it when new. My brother has owned it for years and we all hunted with it including my Dad. It is here for a short stay until my brother picks it up. I may hunt squirrels with it for the early season. Have to hold the cross hair slightly high for the shot gun to pattern center. Rifle barrel shoots like a good shooting bolt action. Unbelievable accuracy from a break open. Here is a picture of the Savage.
4 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Savage 24D Series P

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm

When we were kids, we were detailed to rat shooting duty down at the corn silo. A friend had an old Savage 24, 22LR/410 that was his dad's. He, my brothers and I had a lot of fun shooting those spooky rodents and some of them were huge. You're right. That old Savage was very accurate with the 22 LR barrel.

When we see those for sale at auctions, now, they go very high, proved sometimes exceeding more expensive guns. Brings back lots of memories.
3 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Savage 24D Series P

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:16 pm

a friend used to have a 22LR over 20 ga but I haven't seen a Savage 24 in many, many years .... thanks for bringing back some good memories
1 x