Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New Benelli 20ga Nova Pump Field shotgun

PT7
Drover
United States of America

New Benelli 20ga Nova Pump Field shotgun

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Thought I'd post a few pictures of a new member in my gun cabinet. Last week I picked up my new Benelli shotgun.

I haven't had it to the range yet to try it out. Just got some cleaning accessories today, and will clean the s/g first, and lightly oil before putting it through its paces. This is going to definitely be a FUN range time!! :D
DSCN1273.JPG
DSCN1279.JPG
DSCN1278.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: New Benelli 20ga Nova Pump Field shotgun

Post by JEBar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:53 pm

they most certainly produce some fine shotguns ....looking forward to your evaluations .... do you shoot skeet/trap ?
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:53 pm

Have not shot skeet or trap. Could be part of my list of "shooting-to-do" with this s/g. Have you done any of the s/g sports, either of your two listed, or clays, or five-stand? I think I'd like to try clays...

If you have, I'd be interested in hearing about it, what you think of the sport, how you enjoy it, etc. Plus what s/g you use, gauge, barrel(s) config, and so on. I know there are many choices out there.

Anyone else is more than welcome to jump in, too!

JEBar wrote:they most certainly produce some fine shotguns ....looking forward to your evaluations .... do you shoot skeet/trap ?
0 x

~Пока~

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:01 am

I really like your new shotgun. I have never done any competitive shooting, just hunted with my two twelve gauges.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:47 am

PT7 wrote:Have not shot skeet or trap. Could be part of my list of "shooting-to-do" with this s/g. Have you done any of the s/g sports, either of your two listed, or clays, or five-stand? I think I'd like to try clays...

If you have, I'd be interested in hearing about it, what you think of the sport, how you enjoy it, etc. Plus what s/g you use, gauge, barrel(s) config, and so on. I know there are many choices out there.

Anyone else is more than welcome to jump in, too!
I've shot trap, skeet, and sporting clays .... while the targets are the same, the mechanics of each is different .... I enjoy them all but with physical limitations caused by a bad knee, I now favor trap .... when we are in St Louis (as we will be starting next week) I try to visit Jay Henges http://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-natur ... ion-center as often as possible .... on June 18th some friends from another forum and I plan to meet at Jay Henges for a morning's shooting .... you provide the shotgun and shells, they charge $3 to shoot a round of 25 birds (skeet) ... we usually fire 4 rounds, I don't know of anywhere else you have an opportunity to shoot 100 skeet for $12 .... we have a high dollar Ruger Red Label O/U that is a really nice shotgun but it stays in the vault .... since the late 80's I have used a Remington 11-87 .... not a fancy, high dollar shotgun but I don't believe a skeet has any clue what type of shotgun fired the pellet that breaks it .... I vary the choke tube by the shooting conditions
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Couple of follow up comments or questions.
~~~You mentioned the physical limitation has you favoring trap shooting. Since I've not tried any of these sports yet, why is there that preference? Are stances that different for the different sport shooting?
~~~I looked at Jay Henges web site this morning. That was a neat picture of the Shotgun Patterning Board they have set up. I've not seen anything like that at MDC Parma Woods here. They do allow shotgun patterning on the pistol range, but its only using the standard dense rubber target boards that you tack up paper targets to (the 18"X12" ones they give you with two round targets side-by-side). I think I'll ask the ROs what/if anything is available for shotgunners there.
~~~Agreed. Shooting 100 skeet for $12 is very reasonable. So as I start with this field s/g, I'll have to check on what is available for shooting in this area.
~~~I searched on your model Rem 11-87 s/g, and the article I found & read this morning (a Gun Digest gun review) quite highly rated that model. I've seen the Ruger Red Lable O/U at my LGS, but I've not shot an O/U yet. My first s/g was a Benelli 12ga Nova Pump Tactical model with an 18-1/2" smooth bore barrel. The other shotgun I've had was a Stoeger 20ga Coach Gun SXS. It was interesting shooting that barrel configuration. I'd definitely like to try an O/U someday.

I noticed your thread chat in "Other Forums" with ditchparrot. You both have much experience with shotguns. I hope I'll learn from you two (and others) as I get a handle on this new Benelli. Thanks for your posts & comments.

Re: Other Forums...
Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:33 am

ditchparrot wrote:
I'm a member at TrapShooters.com, the Pointing Dog Journal message board (open only to subscribers of that magazine), Shotgun World, UltimatePheasantHunting.com and an Ithaca owners forum (I own seven Ithaca Model 37 shotguns in various gauges).

JEBar wrote:
my first shotgun that would hold more than 2 shells was an Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight slug gun .... without any doubt it's the most accurate slug gun I've ever owned or ever fired .... its also the "kick'n est" shotgun I've ever owned .... that was back in the 2 3/4" era, can't imagine what it would be like to fire a 3" or 3 1/2" shell in that rig .... its long gone but the memories of the shoulder bruises remains .. :?
JEBar wrote: I've shot trap, skeet, and sporting clays .... while the targets are the same, the mechanics of each is different .... I enjoy them all but with physical limitations caused by a bad knee, I now favor trap .... when we are in St Louis (as we will be starting next week) I try to visit Jay Henges http://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-natur ... ion-center as often as possible .... on June 18th some friends from another forum and I plan to meet at Jay Henges for a morning's shooting .... you provide the shotgun and shells, they charge $3 to shoot a round of 25 birds (skeet) ... we usually fire 4 rounds, I don't know of anywhere else you have an opportunity to shoot 100 skeet for $12 .... we have a high dollar Ruger Red Label O/U that is a really nice shotgun but it stays in the vault .... since the late 80's I have used a Remington 11-87 .... not a fancy, high dollar shotgun but I don't believe a skeet has any clue what type of shotgun fired the pellet that breaks it .... I vary the choke tube by the shooting conditions
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:09 pm

PT7 wrote:Couple of follow up comments or questions.
~~~You mentioned the physical limitation has you favoring trap shooting. Since I've not tried any of these sports yet, why is there that preference? Are stances that different for the different sport shooting?
~~~I looked at Jay Henges web site this morning. That was a neat picture of the Shotgun Patterning Board they have set up. I've not seen anything like that at MDC Parma Woods here. They do allow shotgun patterning on the pistol range, but its only using the standard dense rubber target boards that you tack up paper targets to (the 18"X12" ones they give you with two round targets side-by-side). I think I'll ask the ROs what/if anything is available for shotgunners there.
~~~Agreed. Shooting 100 skeet for $12 is very reasonable. So as I start with this field s/g, I'll have to check on what is available for shooting in this area.
~~~I searched on your model Rem 11-87 s/g, and the article I found & read this morning (a Gun Digest gun review) quite highly rated that model. I've seen the Ruger Red Lable O/U at my LGS, but I've not shot an O/U yet. My first s/g was a Benelli 12ga Nova Pump Tactical model with an 18-1/2" smooth bore barrel. The other shotgun I've had was a Stoeger 20ga Coach Gun SXS. It was interesting shooting that barrel configuration. I'd definitely like to try an O/U someday.

I noticed your thread chat in "Other Forums" with ditchparrot. You both have much experience with shotguns. I hope I'll learn from you two (and others) as I get a handle on this new Benelli. Thanks for your posts & comments.

Re: Other Forums...
Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:33 am

ditchparrot wrote:
I'm a member at TrapShooters.com, the Pointing Dog Journal message board (open only to subscribers of that magazine), Shotgun World, UltimatePheasantHunting.com and an Ithaca owners forum (I own seven Ithaca Model 37 shotguns in various gauges).

JEBar wrote:
my first shotgun that would hold more than 2 shells was an Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight slug gun .... without any doubt it's the most accurate slug gun I've ever owned or ever fired .... its also the "kick'n est" shotgun I've ever owned .... that was back in the 2 3/4" era, can't imagine what it would be like to fire a 3" or 3 1/2" shell in that rig .... its long gone but the memories of the shoulder bruises remains .. :?
JEBar wrote: I've shot trap, skeet, and sporting clays .... while the targets are the same, the mechanics of each is different .... I enjoy them all but with physical limitations caused by a bad knee, I now favor trap .... when we are in St Louis (as we will be starting next week) I try to visit Jay Henges http://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-natur ... ion-center as often as possible .... on June 18th some friends from another forum and I plan to meet at Jay Henges for a morning's shooting .... you provide the shotgun and shells, they charge $3 to shoot a round of 25 birds (skeet) ... we usually fire 4 rounds, I don't know of anywhere else you have an opportunity to shoot 100 skeet for $12 .... we have a high dollar Ruger Red Label O/U that is a really nice shotgun but it stays in the vault .... since the late 80's I have used a Remington 11-87 .... not a fancy, high dollar shotgun but I don't believe a skeet has any clue what type of shotgun fired the pellet that breaks it .... I vary the choke tube by the shooting conditions
0 x