Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Weatherby SA-08 Synthetic?

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Weatherby SA-08 Synthetic?

Post by ESquared » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I know that we're not generally "black gun" people around here, but I'm just researching options for an entry level 12 ga I could use for recreational trap, maybe a bird hunt.

I may have talked myself out of an O/U, based on extensive research here and elsewhere. So what about a semi-auto?

This one makes a few "Best Of..." lists.

Isn't it hard to beat?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807605437
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Weatherby SA-08 Synthetic?

Post by Yornoc3 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:54 pm

I have a walnut stock version, in 28 ga. It's a nice, really light shotgun. The 20 ga. version isn't much heavier, and, being gas guns, there's some perceived recoil reduction. Still, I think the best bang for the buck is with the Franchi Affinity, which is an inertia "short recoil" type action. It could kick a bit more than a gas gun of the same weight, but I can't tell the difference. I shoot 3" steel loads in my 12 ga. Franchi Intensity duck gun (7 lbs), and mostly 7/8 oz bird loads in the Affinity 20 ga. (6 lbs), I don't think either feel excessive as far as recoil goes, at least in part because they fit so well (in my case, right out of the box, but they come with stock adjusting shims). Shopping for shotguns will keep you busy, there are a lot of options. Really, it's best if you can try a couple as you narrow the field; if there's a "try before you buy" event (Like Reed's Rice Creek Gun Fair") near you, that can be a fun way to find the right one.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Evan, remember the fellow who I was helping with the 20ga O/U search? Well, he has two SA-08's! One 20ga, the other is 12ga. These are fine shooting/handling shotguns. Very well priced and they swing on target rather well also. They also come with two pistons. One for lighter loads, the other for heavier loads. Easy as heck to switch pistons, but, for Dennis' purpose, he stays with the "light" one. Absolutely worth a look. I like them better than my Mossberg 930 Field 12ga, and there ain't anything wrong with it. The Weatherby is a good bet.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:49 pm

Any opinions on this Beretta?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803572920
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Nothing wrong with those Evan. Yet, another very good shotgun. May be better than the SA-08, but, I've not shot one. A ton of positive reviews for it. The two semi's you're interested in are pretty darn good examples. Evan, Happy Easter!!
Any more shotgun questions, ask away. I'll help the best I can.
0 x

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:23 am

Several years ago I purchased a handful of raffle tickets for myself and my two brothers.
One ticket that I put my brothers name on won the raffle.
The raffle was titled, "A collection with protection", and included a 24 gun safe and 6 firearms.

One of the firearms was a Weatherby SA-08 with a wood stock.
My brother never paid me for the winning ticket. Said he didn't even know I had bought it for him, even though I know I told him.

He gifted me the SA-08 in lieu of payment for the ticket, so my SA-08 ended up costing me $20 for the ticket price.
I even got a free transfer from a local shop that likes me a lot.

I haven't shot it but a few times. I'm actually not a big shotgun fan, but I'll take most any firearm for $20.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:43 am

Evan ....

if you haven't already purchased a shotgun and can hold off until we meet in August, I'd be happy to have you test the one I prefer .... it is truly fun to fire and I routinely go through 100 - 150 rounds when shooting trap .... no bruising or discomfort of any kind
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Jim,
While there's absolutely NO WAY I can guarantee I can hold off until August to buy a shotgun, I still hope you bring the specimen you are referring to along for the ride when you come to KC. Would love to see it, hold it and shoot it. What is it exactly? Or is it too customized to explain?
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:32 pm

we will most certainly have it with us .... it is a Remington 11-87 that has undergone a series of mods/upgrades .... the OEM recoil pad has been replaced with an outstanding aftermarket pad .... a Mercury recoil suppressor has been inserted in the stock ===> http://www.mercuryrecoil.com/suppressor ... tm#top#top .... its forcing cone has been honed .... the barrel has been Pro-ported by Mag-na-port ===> http://magnaport.com/sgun.html .... due to a heart issue I was on blood thinning meds for several years .... the combined effect of those mods/upgrades allowed me to fire it without bruising .... firing 100 or more rounds of Dove/Quail loads while shooting trap has been the norm .... the most I remember firing at a single session was 200 rounds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Very interesting, to be sure. As it happens, just this afternoon I spotted an 11-87 "Premier" in the used rack at my LGS/Range. Didn't even ask them to take it out of the case, and there was no one around who would have known anything about it anyway, so I don't even know how long the barrel is or anything else about it, but it did look pretty clean and a $429 sticker price.
Will poke my head in later this week and see if I can find out anything more about it. Anything particular to look for/look out for?
0 x