Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ O/U ??

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: CZ O/U ??

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 pm

as noted in this thread ===> http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5784 , when it comes to O/U shotguns I have much to learn .... if things go as planned, I will be firing a few rounds though my Calvary 12ga O/U on Monday .... it is Turkish built and they do offer a reasonably priced 20 ga .... what I can say for sure is, it seems to be solidly built with a very nice fit and finish .... I have 2 O/U's .... the other being an early generation Ruger Red Label .... I've tried to use it and the bottom line is, it kicks like a mule .... with high brass shells, like a large, very angry, mule .... I anticipate the Calvary doing the same .... as can be seen in the thread in the link, I've just had it undergo a good bit of upgrades .... as a gift from one of our son's, I'll not part with it but I don't foresee using it often .... with our Remington 11-87 which has undergone the same upgrades, I routinely fire 100 to 150 rounds at a single trap shooting session .... no bruises, no soreness .... if the Calvary turns out to be fun to fire, I'll probably have the same mods made to the Red Label
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:19 am

It's a whole different world, isn't it? At least I know where I stand in the spectrum of potential O/U users, and that's squarely in the recreational/occasional clay shooter, which says I'd be foolish to move in the Citori direction. That said, for the sake of lower maintenance, lower probability of failure/need for repair (and all that can come along with that) and better ergonomics/comfort/"shootability," it quickly comes down to "get the best you can afford," as is the case with many things in life.
Maybe it's a function of my Henry purchases spoiling me for the short list above - I've enjoyed all those things for well under $1,000 a few times over. It just seems that the challenge is that there's no "Henry" in the $500-$1,000 space for O/Us.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:10 am

Evan, A Franchi "Instinct L", 20 ga O/U, 28" barrels can be had for $1,159. New. This is something to look at. Solid shotguns!
Believe me, I know how this works. Went thru the same thing looking for a 12ga semiauto a couple years ago. Wasn't going to spend $1400-1600 on a gun I use a half dozen or so times a year. But, that Franchi may be worth a look.
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Speaking of Franchi shotguns, I really like the Affinity Walnut 20 ga. I bought to replace the Franchi AL 48 I had, that now lives with my daughter. Not an O/U, I know, but a really nice, light shotgun that's adjustable for fit with included shims; and for well under a grand. I'm a SxS shotgun fan, the one O/U I had, a CZ Upland Ultralight (6 lbs 12 ga., great to carry, if you didn't shoot it much ;) ) was a good gun that now lives with my Son-in-Law. I have three CZ Bobwhite SxS guns in 20 and 28 ga. that have been good, too, but the Dickinson round body guns are an order of magnitude better.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:54 pm

Thanks for the input 220. It is always a choice between function and form. The affordable sometimes is the useable.

I still have not decided about the double vs the semi auto. Will keep doing my research.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.