Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ O/U ??

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

CZ O/U ??

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:05 am

Call it "shopping" or "research" or "killing time," but I'm intrigued by a 20 ga O/U. For casual clays, maybe some hunting (pheasant, turkey).
Stoegers kind of scare me, but I've also found that shotgun devotees can be harsh critics, so I'm weighing the numerous comments I've read about Stoegers being "junk."
Further digging has led me to CZ, which I know from my DW 1911 (apples/oranges, I know, but still). Their "Drake" was intro'd about 3 years ago as a nice, no frills, entry-level piece.
Then I find this on GB, for the same going rate as a Stoeger. Used is tricky, I know, and used ONLINE is even trickier, but I've sent the seller an inquiry about his "90 day warranty", which has given me bit of comfort, should it turn out to be not as represented.
Anybody have any experience with ANY CZ shotguns?
Here's the GB listing, but don't scoop me!
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/809452045
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: CZ O/U ??

Post by Rifletom » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:05 am

Evan, I've been helping one of my friend's look for 20ga O/U recently. Been to a few ranges and shops and they have all mentioned to stay away from any O/U less than $1,000. Problems with ill regulated barrels, double fires[both barrels at once], weak firing pins, lock up not right etc. I'd probably pass. Sometimes there's a diamond in the rough, but, be careful.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:14 am

Interesting, Tom. I've since looked further, and there's an "upgraded" CZ called the Redhead Premier, which they make for Cabela's with a black chrome vs. shiny receiver and call it the "Teal."
Cabela's MSRP is about $850, so getting close to the $1,000 threshold. Not entry level, but not Porsche, either.

Am gonna go look at one and continue mulling...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shootin ... ?slotId=11
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:24 am

CZ shotguns are made by Huglu in Turkey. In no way should they be equated with actual made by CZ products, nor should they even be mentioned with DW in the same paragraph.

We picked up a new CZ 20 gauge Ringneck side by side at an auction for a gun shop going out of business. Put in a way cheap bid, just for kicks, and surprise, surprise, we got it (no one else wanted it). Out of the box, I could barely open the gun, the action was so brutally tight. I mean I actually had to sit down on a chair and use both hands to break open the barrel. Spent hours, every evening, opening the action to loosen it up. No go. Then did some polishing. Better, but a long way to go to get it to open without a fight.

Faux case color on the receiver was poorly applied and didn't even cover the entire receiver. Trigger broke at at least 8 pounds - no fooling. Finally donated it to our granddaughter who had just joined her high school skeet team. Her coaches tried to get the Ringneck to shoot, but they finally gave up. Barrels would not shoot to the same spot and the second barrel frequently failed to fire. We told our granddaughter to use it on a trade for something her coaches recommended. The story does have a happy ending, though. She loves skeet and is doing well. The CZ is long gone.

By the way. I'm no stranger to doubles. Have had my share of SKBs (the originals, made in Japan), Miroku made doubles and Berettas, so I know what it takes to make one, right. If you have a thousand to spend and really want a good double, buy a used Citori, Beretta or similar.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Very interesting, NCG, thanks for that story. I went out to Cabela's today to see/touch a number of these <$1K doubles for myself, including a CZ "Teal," which, as I understand it, is a Cabela's exclusive version of a CZ "Redhead Premier," but with a black chrome receiver instead of a stainless one. I experienced first-hand what you describe in terms of trying to get it to open properly, as the guy had to crack open a box to show me a 20 gauge. I had to work it a few times just to get it "click" all the way open. The finish was fine, although I guess I'm spoiled by Henry checkering, as none of the doubles I handled today come anywhere close to the job that Henry does in that department (let alone the wood itself).
The other thing that PT/Bob reminded me of (when comparing Henry to "others") was the after sale customer service; even though CZ's service center is right here in KC, I know nothing of the likelihood that I'd need to use it.
Anyway, long story short, I'm probably walking away from the CZ doubles, as I made an alternative purchase today, with more to come!
Thanks again for sharing your experience!
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Take a look at Tri Star, they are a Trukish company and make some pretty fine shotguns.
Got a few friends that have 'em and love 'em.
Had a good friend that bought a CZ early last year, and he was impressed by the Tri Stars.
When we go to Minn. this fall for a pheasant hunt, I know of at least three that will have a Tri Star. 2, 20 ga. and a 28.

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:21 pm

I'm kind of finding the whole thing discouraging. The "trap people," who do it as a serious hobby/competitive sport, don't seem to even sniff at anything that's not a Browning or Beretta, and that's just not what I'm after, as that's not the direction I'm heading.

Then you look at some of the S/G forums and/or YouTube vids from "good ol' boys" who buy and use "field gun" O/Us for everything from hunting to clays and they rave about their CZs and TriStars and Stoegers (well, some of 'em). That's more my speed, but I still don't want to make a $500-$700 "mistake."

I dunno, maybe the O/U thing is just a childhood dream that I'm chasing and I should just re-focus!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:27 pm

I truly am sorry for discouraging you if you've dreamed of getting an O/U. It's not that a $500 or a $700 or even a $1000 O/U can't be a good serviceable shotgun, but it's a riskier proposition than buying a Browning or a Beretta. Anyone who claims, otherwise, is not doing you a favor. If know that there is such a risk and are willing to accept it, at least you're making an informed decision. If you're going to loose sleep fretting about whether such a gun is going to be perfect out of the box, then that's another story. My advice, should you decide to try a CZ or other O/U in this price range is to at least inspect before you buy. You can weed out some of the clunkers and greatly improve you chance of getting something you'll be happy with.

Competition shooters really have no choice to spend the money on the Browning, Beretta or similar. They're not being snobs. They go though more rounds in one summer league than most people run through their shotguns in a lifetime. Guns that are not reliable can cost them a match. One dropped bird can cost them a match. Those who can't afford a pricey O/U, by the way, do very well with a good semi-auto and the semi-auto actually has some advantages.
2 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:24 pm

A few years ago I went to a LGS to buy a bunch of 2-1/2 inch.410 shells for an all day shoot. The shoot never happened and I didn't notice under much later that the clerk at the gun desk had loaded me up with 20 gauge 2-1/2 shells. After a couple years I gave them to my shooting buddy in Shasta. He didn't have a 20 gauge, but had always wanted one. Another couple years and he finds himself a 20 gauge O/U, Beretta Silver Pigeon III. He received it last week and had to put it in his gun safe without shooting. They had a vacation trip planned. So shooting had to wait.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Have a couple of stoegers a 20" 410 coach gun and a U/O with as set of 28" 12ga barrels and 26" 20ga.
Cant fault them for what I do, a bit of informal clay busting and some hunting so not massive round counts but that is the reason I went for the cheap option. A Beretta or Perazzi they are not but the price sticker has at least 1 less zero.

Reasonable review here:
https://www.typicalshooter.com/review-s ... r-shotgun/
2 x