Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Favorite Shotgun - .410 single shot

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Favorite Shotgun - .410 single shot

Post by Blackdog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:03 am

I went to the LGS just to "look around." A new guy was working there and asked if I was looking for anything. I was pretty familiar with what they had in stock so I asked if he had a .410 single shot. He ran off to the back room and the others and I kinda looked at each other - Like we knew the answer.

About 7 minutes later the new guy came back with two .410s. Both were Winchester 37s, one used and one almost new looking. He found them in the lay-away section and their time had expired - the buyer had let the lay-away lapse.

The used one was $150. I did a quick draw on my wallet and claimed the used shotgun. The other one sold to one of the other guys in the store.

When I go waking in the woods the little .410 goes with me. My wife likes it too, but only if the target isn't moving. It makes me feel like a kid again - and that makes it worth every penny.

Michael
3 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Favorite Shotgun - .410 single shot

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Good for you. I'm a fan of those old "steelbuilt" 37s. Unlike so many single shots of their day, the Winchester 37s were built like tanks, all steel and walnut. They also have a rep for shooting very tight and even patterns. Apparently, they're still popular on the the turkey shoot circuit for that reason. Also, read somewhere that a lot of folks, back in the day, removed the spring from the ejector to keep those precious rounds from popping out and getting lost in the marsh or the brush. The Winchester 37 is truly the great classic farm gun.
0 x