Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Slugs down range

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Slugs down range

Post by PT7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 am

I thought I'd start up a new thread after reading NCG's comments about shotgun slug shooting.
Here is her quote from the original Range Report thread I wrote:

Quote from "PT7 -- back into shot gunning with a Pump." http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4306
North Country Gal wrote:Fascinating report, PT and great shooting with those slug guns. Been awhile since you posted about your slug shooting, so glad to see you back at it. Really should post more about it, since it's a type of shooting that you rarely read about, these days. Does need to get more exposure. I'll bet there are a lot shotguns, sitting around, collecting dust, being neglected by their owners for lack off opportunity to wing shoot or trap shoot. They could grab some slug loads and head to the nearest range and have fun like you.

Oh, yeah, I still think about giving it a try, sometime. Think I'll stick with a 20, though. Will likely be a pump, too.
When I did my Range Report on my new Stevens 320 shotgun, I hadn't taken any photos yet. So I did that over the weekend.
Right-side view_DSCN2413.jpg
Left-side view_DSCN2414.jpg
OK, now some wandering thoughts on slug shooting --- for fun or for hunting. I really don't know what reasons support the observation NCG wrote about slug shooting: "Really should post more about it, since it's a type of shooting that you rarely read about, these days." Even on the shotgun forum I'm a member of, there is very little about slug shooting. Of course, shooting sports like trap and skeet are very popular. Also, s/g hunting is quite popular, but other than with slugs. Not sure why. I like it because the shotgun is a significant part of our frontier American history. Early on many folk used shotguns for protection, and more importantly, putting all kinds of food on the table. It was a staple firearm back then.

The challenging part of shooting for me is that I need to have sights that work for my elder eyes. This Stevens has a ghost-ring rear and fiber-optic front, just as my Henry SGC has the receiver-mounted Skinner ghost ring rear sight and a bead front sight. The choice of shotguns with this configuration is somewhat limited, and I've not yet seen a s/g with wood furniture and this sight configuration....maybe I've missed one out there. Anyway, the basic iron rear sight on the Stevens works well for me.

Another reason I like this type of shooting is that inherently a shotgun's most capable range is 50-100 yards. If I use this s/g for deer hunting with slugs, I'd be practiced and ready for about a 40-50 yard range. A real plus for me is that this limitation of short-range shooting allows me to stick with the iron sights.

NCG said here about slug shooting, "I still think about giving it a try, sometime." Some other Henry Folk have said the same. And on the shotgun forum I share on, quite a few there echoed this thought. But I've yet to have a "comrade-in-slugs" come along. Maybe someday. Shotgun slug shooting is extremely fun and also quite rewarding to master such a skill.

Finally, I've recently come across a shooting organization (they call it a "club") which has the primary goal of "Looking just for SlugShooters, pure and simple." It's called the American Slug Shooting Association. http://www.slugshooting.com/default.htm I haven't read much yet about the details of their slug shooting competitions, but it does sound interesting. If there is a way I might be able to participate locally, it sounds like it would be a cool sport.

I hope to post some additional shotgun Range Reports as I get outdoors this spring and summer. Maybe there will be a spark of interest yet ignited. If anyone here does try out shooting slugs, I'll be all ears! :)
PT7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Slugs down range

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:10 am

interesting concept .... within 75 yards, the most accurate slug gun I've ever owned was a 60's vintage 12 ga Ithica Pump Model 37 Featherweight Deerslayer .... it was also the hardest kicking shotgun I've ever fired .... it totally eliminated any desire I had fire a slug at anything but a deer/boar/bear .... in time I went with a 44 mag rifle and/or revolver for short range big game hunting so for me, hunting with a shotgun equaled 00-buckshot .... I've never fired a 20 ga slug and now find myself somewhat intrigued at the prospects of doing so .... that would necessitate purchasing another shotgun .. ;)
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:50 am

Ah :idea:. You just highlighted a perfect reason for little interest in shotgun slug shooting, particularly when using a 12ga shotgun -- RECOIL :!:

To be honest, recoil rarely crosses my mind (or my body!) because I don't have much issue with it. I easily shoot a large number of slugs at any single range day. Maybe I'm having too much fun to notice if the recoil hurts! :lol:

My 20ga and 12ga Benelli Nova Pumps each had a thick & comfortable recoil pad. I had added a 14-oz. mercury recoil reducer inside the 12ga stock, and it made a world of difference in easing felt recoil. The only 12ga slug I had trouble shooting was a 3" Magnum. But for hunting or just slug "plinking," magnum loads aren't needed.

Yes, JEBar. Easy to see how recoil can "eliminate any desire" to shoot slugs. Good point.

JEBar wrote: .... it was also the hardest kicking shotgun I've ever fired .... it totally eliminated any desire I had fire a slug at anything but a deer/boar/bear .... i
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:07 am

You know, one area of slug shooting that can eliminate the recoil problem AND add some interest to the sport is with shooting 410 slugs.Lots of renewed interest in the 410, now, for self-defense and that includes some slug loads. Also, I recall that Sir Henry has done some slug shooting with his 410 lever guns. As for me, I do plan to do some slug shooting with a 410 Contender pistol barrel, this summer (if it ever gets, here). The 45 Colt/410 Contender barrels do have rifling, so it could be interesting.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:15 am

as a person who has been on blood thinning meds for a long time, felt recoil is a major issue for me .... since the '70's my standard mods designed reduce felt recoil in a rifle and/or shotgun have been installing a top Kick-eez recoil pad, mercury recoil suppressor, and having the barrel Mag-na-ported .... in addition I use semiautomatic shotguns whose actions burn some recoil .... I might see if I can find a slug barrel for a 11-87 and send it to Mag-na-port .... I actually still have boxes of Winchester 2 3/4" slugs left over from the '70's
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 am

question : comments from folks who load their own slugs would be appreciated .... factory loads (even 410's) that I've seen seem to run about $1 each .... for me that tends to dampen interest ....
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm

I've bought .410 slugs to hunt nutria, but never used them (yet). Not too much later I bought my Henry .30-30 and a few days later, over the factory sights and leaning on a tree for stability, got my first nutria (I've added a scope since then). On a nearly daily basis this time of year I use my .410 with #4 shot for control of eastern gray squirrels (invasive, non-native to the Pacific NW). I do occasionally think of trying the .410 slugs on the next nutria and sometimes just firing off a few for fun. But as JEBar notes, rounds are expensive.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:48 pm

I used to shoot 12 ga slugs. They were the 1oz rifled slugs. It was a lot of fun. Now this was years ago before they became so expensive. I'd load my own if I was doing it now.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:11 pm

The biggest issue I see is a use for slugs outside of mandated shotgun seasons.
I always carry a few when hunting with a shotgun just in case but with a smooth bore and a front bead 50y is about maximum range. Adding rifle sights and a rifled barrel will improve accuracy and distance but it still isn't even in the 45/70 class. For most people that want to throw big heavy lead slugs accurately a 45/70 or similar makes more sense.
410 slugs are anemic, I did a lot of experimenting with heavier slugs in the 410 and never found anything that would give acceptable accuracy from a smooth bore. In the end the load I use in 410 for anything larger is a 5xOO/SG, patterns under 8" at 20y and has double the muzzle energy of factory 410 slug loads.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 pm

The slugs I have and haven't yet tried are Winchester Super X Rifled Hollow Pt 1/5 oz 2 1/2 inch labeled for Deer and smooth bore. Velocity 1830. Anyone have experience with rifled slugs accuracy and range?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234