Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Breaking Down the Boss's Mossberg 500E

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Breaking Down the Boss's Mossberg 500E

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 am

;)

Of course, by the Boss, I mean the wife...

and Her 500E is a 410 pump I acquired for her about 20 years ago for a house gun to keep handy while I was working patrols, either evenings or midnights. It has been a great little gun, and since I paid $15... :o We have really gotten our money's worth. I can explain the great price if anyone is interested... 8-)
Miss T's 410 comp.jpg
Anyway, Miss T took the Pump out this afternoon to take care of some farm business, and brought it back in to tell me that it wouldn't fire, :?
and the action was jammed. :evil: She swapped guns, leaving the shotgun with me, and headed back out with the CZ455 with the Nikon scope. That combo is deadly on farm problems as well.
CZ455 with Nikon Scope comp.jpg
I took the shotgun out on the deck, pointed the muzzle in a safe direction, and cleared the single round in the mag tube, then with a little effort, cleared the round in the chamber. Back to my office and looked the little gun over. :roll: The action felt "gummy" to me, so I set the 410 in the rack on the bench and did a quick search, and watched a disassembly / reassembly video on You Tube. Hmmm, doesn't look too bad.
I gathered my tools, and got busy. :oops: :oops:

Yeah, yeah, I know; Gee Marine, YOU had to Watch a YouTube Video...? I know handguns pretty well, but I don't do that much with long guns... unless you are talking about the AR, and then it's still been a while. These days, when I take the Henry's apart for detailed cleaning... I WATCH those videos again. :)

I took my time and followed the steps I had just watched, and it was fairly simple, just as promised. Once I had the parts laid out on the bench, it was obvious why the little guy had jammed... there was gunk built up all in the trigger assembly, on the bolt group components, and the various components of the pump mechanism were coated. Dried powder and old lube, mixed with grit mostly. :?

Over the last few years, I had cleaned the barrel, the bolt face, and the like, but hadn't detail stripped the gun since I bought it. It hadn't been SHOT that much. :| I cleaned EVERY thing, and reassembled the gun. The action was smooth, the functional check ... Check. :)

I got five rounds of #4 and took the gun back out to the Coop Area and gave the boss her gun back. I asked her to test 'er out and she gave it a work out. She was happy. The action cycled the shells smoothly and the gun went boom when she pulled the trigger. Lesson Learned. 8-)

A few months ago, I took the handguns out of the safe and inspected them all, went over those that needed cleaning, even if they hadn't been fired. I wiped them all down and put them back to bed. Guess the long guns (even NON-Henry's) need love too. :lol: :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Breaking Down the Boss's Mossberg 500E

Post by daytime dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Excellent post Marine. You need to check them once in a while. Thank you for sharing it with us.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Every time I pull out a gun I haven't shot in a while I have to search the dusty brain cells to see if I remember how to field strip it. Occasionally the reply I get back is sorry that file has been deleted. Back to the books or You Tube.

Okay so how did you get that sweet little 410 for $15 ?
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 am

Yup remember those World Book Encyclopedias you had in the book shelf at home? I think of You Tube as that anymore. If I need a refresher course on HOW TO I just go there and do the search. Handier to the computer doesnt weight as much or take up as much romm as those big heavy books did. Also owning muzzle loaders will keep you in practice of check those guns once in a while. Al
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 am

Seabee,

My old Chief had a widowed friend who wanted the gun out of her house when her eighty something hubby died, and she was just looking for someone to take it. The Chief had young kids at home, so he didn't want it. However, he knew as an instructor I was both trustworthy, and could use it around the farm. He said the gun was free, but asked how much cash I had in my shirt pocket. (Department Policy) I rarely carried much, I had fifteen dollars, "That'll buy breakfast." He took my money, and handed me the shotgun. Sweet.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 am

I agree al, we used to have a shelf filled with world books, and mom had paid extra to get the updates delivered for a while. I must have been a bit of a nerd at heart, because I would get excited when it came in. I wasn't a pocket protector, slide rule nerd, although I did HAVE a slide rule... :roll: wait... where were we... I did get picked on.. just a bit ... :? ... then the judo classes and :roll: ... weight lifting...

Oh yeah... updated editions.... quasi-nerd. :) I loved it when they came in because i'd read them like novels. They were filled with wonder for me... an escape. :P I still went out and shot bb guns, tried to jump my bike over the creek, snagged for mullet in the river from the bridge and caught an LTD instead... but on cold rainy days, sick in bed days... world book took me away from it all. I travelled around the world. ;)
0 x