Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone Handled the Mossberg Shockwave?

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Anyone Handled the Mossberg Shockwave?

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:57 am

Henry88 wrote:
albin25 wrote:it should have been made in 20 gauge.
I'd buy a double barrel 20 gauge version in a heartbeat!
Funny, but the same thing occurred to me; easier to handle in a 20 ga.
That would be sweet. :lol:
I'd buy a double in 12! :)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

NoFlyZone
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NoFlyZone » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 am

I have been looking at them too, just haven't pulled the trigger. LOL.. Its on my list, just not at the top.

I did see that Kentucky Gun Company has them on sale of $359 and free shipping. Thats the best price I've seen on them.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=118940

Dale - AZ
0 x

Joezilla
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Joezilla » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm

I have been thinking about getting a Shockwave, but after much research, I think for my purposes, a regular Mossberg 500,590, or 590A1 would be the more prudent choice. The 500, 590, 590A1 with a shoulder stock should make it easier for me to hit what I am aiming at while allowing an extra round or two at the same time.

Now I just need to decide which model would be best for me.

Joe
1 x

Joezilla
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Joezilla » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 am

I was in Brownell's retail store today in Grinnell, Iowa. They had the Remington TAC 14 on sale for $299. They did not have a Shockwave on display.

Joe
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:48 am

Still have not seen the Shockwave in 12 gauge in our area...
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:23 pm

I finally found a local (sorta, ninety minutes away) dealer with one in stock and we picked it up today.
New Addition.jpg
Took it out on the range after lunch and each fired a few rounds for familiarization. Both the wife and I found that even with the Tactical Buckshot I had picked up off the bench on the way out the door, the recoil was manageable. The wife's comment was, "Not Bad," shaking her head, "It's not like we are going to be shooting 25 rounds like you would in a round of skeet." :lol: I think with number four birdshot it would even be comfortable. The Tactical Buck wasn't punishing or anything.

Miss T said it was easier on her than putting the 12 gauge double to her shoulder. We have both had shoulder surgeries, so, I can see her point. :P

The plan is for the gun to ride on the Polaris Ranger with whomever is driving. I will be there and handy to take care of varmints. It will fit that bill NICELY. Much better tool than a pocket pistol. It can lay on the seat for now, but we will find a clamp style rack for it. That length is very handy.
BOM Ranger 500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:16 pm

I handled one of the new 20 gauge models yesterday when looking at some Blackhawks. Looks interesting, very maneuverable, reasonable price. I'd want to shoot one before buying one. I guess for most of it's uses would be OK shooting from the hip but it felt very uncomfortable holding it up to where you could actually use the front sight.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Dave, the straight line of the grip, vs a regular pistol grip is an advantage. I didn't shoot much, but I plan to shoot slugs, buck, and bird thru mine in the next few days. I'll post my thoughts. We do have a slot for it here ... it fits perfectly/handily on the ranger - my first thought when I saw one.
0 x

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Conax » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Cool gun for hip shooting. I'd just take it out somewhere and blast everything in sight til I got used to it and started hitting. There's a couple on Gunbroker..
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714474355
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:03 am

Conax,

We didn't have a problem hitting the targets from the hip, it's an easy instinctive pointer. I'll try and post some pics of the targets next time I shoot. Maybe tomorrow. So far I am liking this gun and the price is pretty good.

When I got to the Gunshop, I asked to look at both the Mossberg Shockwave; which they were holding for me, and the Remington Tac 14; which is Remington's answer to the shockwave. In a side by side comparison; I ended up going with the Mossberg for several reasons, but they are just my personal choices. As many have said, it's kinda like Colt Vs. Smith and Ford Vs. Chevy. Listed below are some of my reasons for leaning that direction... maybe they'll help someone else in their process. :roll:

The Mossberg has the safety on the top of the tang, and the Remington on the side of the rear of trigger guard.. I prefer the trigger guard position of the Mossberg.

The Mossberg also has the Pump release lever at the rear of the underside of the trigger guard on the right hand side, easily reached by the trigger finger. The Remington has their Pump release lever in front of the trigger guard on the left side... which I didn't care for.

The foregrip on the Mossberg has the strap to keep your hand firmly protected and in place. The Remington has the Magpull "tactical" foregrip... cool looking and all, but I thought it was clunky, and didn't seem as secure as the Mossburg foregrip. Your hand slipping off the pump on this short barrel shotgun could be an issue, although it's unlikely unless you are hotdogging... but why take the chance? :?

The Mossberg, 5+1 for a total of six rounds. Remington, 4+1 for a total of five. Meh, one round difference.

Price was so close it didn't have an effect. The Remington was about $20 more.

I found the Mossberg just looked better, had a smoother action and wasn't as thick. I went with it. Remington fans may go with the Remington due to brand loyalty. I had no loyalty either way, and in a long double career involving firearms, I have carried both. However, in this case after considering all the facts and features, for me, the Mossberg won easily.
1 x