Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Skinner peep mod to 20-gauge Benelli pump shotgun

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Skinner peep mod to 20-gauge Benelli pump shotgun

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Some people probably would say I'm nutso reconfiguring my Benelli 20-gauge Nova Pump Field shotgun...but I like my final results! It also exactly matches the sights configuration I had on my first shot gun, a Benelli 12-gauge Nova tactical pump. That was my basis for this project --- I really had a great time shooting rifled slugs with the 12-gauge through its ghost-ring sights.

OK. The 12-gauge was named BOOM. The 20-gauge is named PUMP.

PUMP had a 24" barrel with removable chokes. I had Carlson's Choke Tubes in KS shorten the barrel to the minimum legal 18-1/2" length for a s/g. Now PUMP is a cylinder bore tactical config, just as BOOM was when purchased stock.

Here is the fun part, and mostly why I'm posting on the Henry Forum. Contacted Andy Larsson at Skinner Sights and ask him to help with my project. I had the original receiver-mounted blued Skinner peep left after Andy made a special-ordered bronze peep sight for my Henry SGC. Asked Andy if the blues peep could be mounted on PUMP's barrel rail, and to also remove the front red fiber optic sight and install a bronze peep like I have on my SGC. He said not a problem at all!

I'm looking forward to my next range time with PUMP, and plan to shoot some rifled slugs at both splash and black steel targets. Will probably share a range report on the HRF, too.

So this thread is a hurrah for Skinner Peeps.....they did a good job on this project for me! :D
Here are some photos; a little hard to take, but you'll get the gist of these mods.
Have a great day!

BOOM with tactical ghost-ring sights

PUMP with rail-mounted Skinner peep

PUMP with rail-mounted front bead

PUMP's mods and new look!

Sight radius = 14-1/2"; Skinner peep to eye = 10"

6 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: Skinner peep mod to 20-gauge Benelli pump shotgun

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Thanks for the update and telling us how helpful Andy was to the project. Your photos are really good. Nice job.

I'm really looking forward to your next range report. You're gonna have a blast! :D
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 am

Great report, and PUMP is a very mean looking shotgun. Great job! Image
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:30 pm

That 12 gauge is a beauty.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am

How do it shoot?
Love the idea, would like to hear more about the results.

M
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:23 am

Should be a great shooter. Let us know with a range report when you get a chance.

Yup, my experience with Skinner matches yours. Great outfit with a great product.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am

Wow, you found an "oldie" thread, Blackdog. Reminds me of both the challenges and fun in doing this s/g mod.

Currently, I no longer have this Benelli 20ga pump. It had been part of my re-focus away from long guns, with the end result of recently acquiring a small trio of S/A Uberti revolvers. I never did post a Range Report, NCG, when shooting this pump with the sight mod. But I can tell you that the Benelli pump was a great shooter, and the Skinner peep sight mod was a real plus for me, especially when shooting slugs.

I did post one Range Report that included this shotgun, before the mod I did. That day I also took my SP101 out, too. Here is that thread (another yet older "oldie"): http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ump#p18894

Have a good day.
PT7
Blackdog wrote:How do it shoot?
Love the idea, would like to hear more about the results.

M
North Country Gal wrote:Should be a great shooter. Let us know with a range report when you get a chance.

Yup, my experience with Skinner matches yours. Great outfit with a great product.
0 x

~Пока~