Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

All slicked up

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

All slicked up

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:19 pm

I took the 870 I got yesterday apart and gave it a good cleaning and lubed the friction and pivot spots with some Mobil 1 oil used very sparingly. I also put a little Gun Slick on the friction spots on the slide assembly. It was dirty but not to the extreme like some I have taken down and cleaned for my self and other hunter friends. It really doesn't show hardly any wear and I believe this was just some ones hunter shot gun and they really don't see thousands of rounds like skeet and trap guns see. It is like a different gun now on how well its action cycles and really feels a lot better. This gun has no binding in the action and no looseness or rattling like some older pumps get. This should make a nice hunter shot gun for pheasant and small game.
Back together and ready for a day out this week when the weather gets warmer.
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: All slicked up

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:27 pm

I'm really enjoying this old 870 project of yours. Brings back such great memories of my days bird hunting. You're right, of course. So many of these old guns got carried way more than they ever got shot. For sure, a slicked up 870 is about as smooth as it gets in a pump gun.
2 x

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Post by Les » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:55 pm

When you see it all laid out like that, it makes you realize just how simple yet effective these shotguns are. I'm sure there's a good few years of life left in it yet, too. ;)
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Les wrote:When you see it all laid out like that, it makes you realize just how simple yet effective these shotguns are. I'm sure there's a good few years of life left in it yet, too. ;)
How about a few good decades left? :D I don't see why a shotgun, long gun or even a SA pistol shouldn't last hundreds of years.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Les wrote:When you see it all laid out like that, it makes you realize just how simple yet effective these shotguns are. I'm sure there's a good few years of life left in it yet, too. ;)
As far as I am concerned a Remington 870 is simplicity and reliability all rolled into one great package. I base that on years of hunting with them and never replacing a single part.
1 x

ditto1958
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by ditto1958 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:43 pm

That is one purty 870. Wish the new ones looked that good.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:45 pm

nicely done indeed .... fixed choke ? if so, which choke
0 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 am

bandit1250 wrote:
As far as I am concerned a Remington 870 is simplicity and reliability all rolled into one great package. I base that on years of hunting with them and never replacing a single part.
My husband says the same thing about the famous '870' shotgun. He only owns one 870 shotgun now in a Marine Magnum but he did own several shotguns in the past and in various calibers.

I never saw his older Wingmaster shotguns.

Thanks for sharing.

Cate
1 x

Gregorsway
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Gregorsway » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:03 am

Well done! That's a keeper if I've ever seen one! If you take care of it- it will take care of you. Nice post!
1 x