Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Strange Thing About Shotguns

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

A Strange Thing About Shotguns

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 am

One of the strangest things about Shotguns I have observed all through the years is the sizes of them.

The 410 and 20 Gauge seems to be very popular, even recently with the announcement of the new Henry. Then you have the ever popular 12 Gauge. But why is the 16 Gauge, a nice middle of the road, so un-popular, lol.

I've been a 16 Gauge fan for years.

It's a little harder to find Ammo for them, but I really have no problem finding what I need.
2 x
NRA Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: A Strange Thing About Shotguns

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:05 am

I don't know if the 16-gauge itself is really "unpopular," Cowboy. I have a s/g forum friend who has a nice collection of 16-ga shotguns, his favorite caliber for a s/g. The most-often-raised issue he mentions is the availability of ammo. But like you said, it can be found. So to deal with any scarcity of 16-ga ammo, he regularly reloads his 16-ga shotshells. Seems like a good way to go.

An aside for a moment. But why the manufacturers don't make enough 16-ga ammo is beyond me. As another example, I find that good .38 Special and/or .357 Magnum wadcutter ammo is not often on the LGS shelves. Cannot figure out the whys and wherefores about ammo.... :roll:

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:One of the strangest things about Shotguns I have observed all through the years is the sizes of them.

The 410 and 20 Gauge seems to be very popular, even recently with the announcement of the new Henry. Then you have the ever popular 12 Gauge. But why is the 16 Gauge, a nice middle of the road, so un-popular, lol.

I've been a 16 Gauge fan for years.

It's a little harder to find Ammo for them, but I really have no problem finding what I need.
2 x

~Пока~

Whaler
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Whaler » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:17 am

Finding ammo for my 28ga is a real challenge but I haven't shot it in years so no big deal. Love the gun.

Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe

5 x
Henry Big Boy .357mag Carbine
Bersa Thunder .22LR
CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm
CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm
SIG P238 .380
Beretta 84FS .380
Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 28ga

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:13 am

That Weatherby is a beauty.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:01 pm

You know, I think I would be a candidate for a 16, save the ammo issue.

I think the 12 is a little overboard but the 20 is maybe a little wimpy.
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Well, a few thoughts here....

The first is similar to the centerfire cartridge caliber debate. If more handguns existed in 10mm I would bet 10mm ammo would be more prevalent. Also, if 10mm ammo was easier to find at the same prices as 45acp and 40SW then more pistols would be purchased in 10mm chamberings. It's a chicken and the egg type situation.

Next, also similar to some centerfire cartidges, 12 gauge is used extensively by the military which leads to civilian use. I can't imagine the military switching to 16 gauge any time soon but if they did the availability in the civilian world would expand drastically.

Lastly, if you want to shoot skeet competitively. I understand you need to shoot 12, 20, 28 and 410 in the same competition.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:26 am

Of all the types, I prefer 20 GA for most applications. I like .410 for squirrel hunting. I have never been interested in a 16 or 28 GA gun solely due to the ammunition issues.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Jdl447
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Jdl447 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:43 am

I own every gauge but the 20.I reload .410 and 28 Ga. Making both very cheap to shoot.
12 and 16 GA I buy Herters shells by the case from Cabelas
1 x
When a clown moves into a palace, he doesn't become a king. The palace becomes a circus.

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am

I really enjoy shooting 20 mostly due to the reduced recoil. Seems to do just fine for me even as a beginner shooting skeet. I don't think it would do the job on sporting clays or trap though. Not for my skill level; I need the bigger spread!
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:06 pm

I have an old single shot 16. I love it! Ammo is out there but limited to light birdshot mainly. I think alot of that has to do with the fact that the 16 has always been a bird gun.

Nice thing about a 16 is that a good one is lighter than a 12 gauge. Though some companies made 16's from 12's frames.

When they originally set up trap and skeet the 16 gauge was left out. Many say that is why the popularity dropped off.

To me 16 is perfect. Almost as much shot and knock down power as a 12 gauge but swings and has the recoil of a 20.

My family in the midwest does a backyard clay shoot when we get together for Thanksgiving. There are usually some nice pricey shotguns there. Last year I took my 75 YO single shot 16. Got a couple of chuckles at 1st. Till I dropped the 1st 3 birds with 3 shots way down range. After that several folks shot it and did well. Many commented on how nice and svelte the gun is to handle. Not to bad for a $75 shotgun made before WWII !
4 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.