Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Coach Guns - any owners out there?

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Coach Guns - any owners out there?

Post by JCN » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:35 pm

Can anyone explain the external hammers to me? Are they beneficial functionally or is it just for looks?
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:43 pm

I was interested in the Stoeger coach gun. I notice that gander, academy, and many others have stopped carrying them.

They seem to be "pushing" the Condor, O/U.

I think I'm gonna go for something a little more traditional.

I agree with JCN that it would be great if Henry made one.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:12 am

JCN wrote:Can anyone explain the external hammers to me? Are they beneficial functionally or is it just for looks?
Check out this hickok45 video titled: "Hammer Shotgun vs Hammerless." Some interesting commentary here.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fun ... &FORM=VIRE

Henry88 mentioned the Stoeger Coach was not easily found at certain shops. I've gotten several firearms through BudsGunShop.com, and there is one of the Stoeger models now available in 20-ga. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adv ... ords=31405
The CZ coach case-hardened s/g mentioned by Whaler is available at Buds, too. But this one is a 12-gauge model. I think the hammers look cool on this model.

BTW, if you take the search time to shop, I've read there are quite a number of used coach guns still available to buy. I'd check that out, too. One of my LGS here has quite a variety of used s/g most all the time in stock. Might be another option to find what you're looking for.....have fun!
0 x

~Пока~

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:43 am

I'm still interested in a side by side. I just think it will have longer barrels, like say the Stoeger Uplander. I like 20 ga.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:28 am

PT7 wrote:
JCN wrote:Can anyone explain the external hammers to me? Are they beneficial functionally or is it just for looks?
Check out this hickok45 video titled: "Hammer Shotgun vs Hammerless." Some interesting commentary here.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fun ... &FORM=VIRE
I enjoy hickok45, thanks for the link .... granted, he is prone to talk in circles so he could cover the same material in a much shorter video .... for me, the external hammers are a personal preference .... I just like the looks .... as hickok noted, to some that's what a coach gun is supposed to look like
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am

Thanks guys I appreciate it. I've watched dozens of Hickok45 videos over the years but not this one!
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 am

Henry88 wrote:I'm still interested in a side by side. I just think it will have longer barrels, like say the Stoeger Uplander. I like 20 ga.
Buy two Henrys and duct tape them together. ;)
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Hickok made some interesting points about the external hammers vs internal. I'm still undecided.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:02 pm

JCN wrote:Hickok made some interesting points about the external hammers vs internal. I'm still undecided.
He really did. I never thought about the cocking effort difference, etc., also about storing uncocked; all good points.
0 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 pm

I started this tread a few weeks ago with an interest in coach guns. I'd still love to buy one but had an itch to try it first.

This weekend i visited my in laws in PA. My father in law isn't a gun guy per se but certainly isn't against them either. He told me that his friend lent him a gun for home defense. Low and behold it's a 20 gauge side by side!

He had some shells so we went deep into his property and shot a box. It was a blast! 20 gauge was a lot of fun.

The gun itself was manufactured by J Stevens. The barrels appeared to be about 20" long but I didn't measure and didn't see it stamped on there. Two triggers. Auto safety. Plastic (wood colored) furniture which seemed pretty cheap.

This basically sealed the deal for me. I need a side by side and I wouldn't mind 20 gauge.

Does anyone know of after market wood furniture for this gun? I'd love to upgrade it for him.
0 x