Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Over Under for Clays

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Over Under for Clays

Post by PT7 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 pm

JCN ~~~ Yup, I know that shooting as a lefty is an option, and have some friends that do that. But I've simply chosen to not go that route. Think it is partly getting harder to teach this elder dog new tricks! :lol:
JCN wrote: I am cross eye dominant as well. This is why I shoot a lefty shotgun!
I shoot pistol and rifle with my right hand. Pistol is easy to move the sights in front of my left eye and with a rifle scope/sights I can use my right eye with no problem. Just had to learn how to shoot lefty when aiming at those clays!

JEBar ~~~ Yup again, as I knew that from previous service work with Carlson's. Thanks. When I had my cylinder bore 12-gauge, I found out that Carlson's could/would put in threads at barrel end for chokes. Decided at that time to keep it a plain-Jane cylinder bore barrel.

Q on "closing the eye you don't want to use." Okay, that seems logical. But then do I just focus my view over the barrel and don't use any sights, correct? Just the same if both eyes were kept open? If I were to try and use the rifle sights, I think I'd never be able to keep effectively/accurately ahead of the clay as it zipped by.

Another result of the mods I did to my shotgun is that for either skeet or trap, my barrel length is now too short. The 18-1/2" length just doesn't cut it as those clays rapidly fade into the distance.

I might try trap again per your suggestion, JEBar. But I think any skeet rounds are not in the future for me. That's okay. Not only do the clays fade away, elder eyes do also. :lol:
JEBar wrote: just as an FYI .... Carlson provides a service where they thread 12 & 20 ga barrels to where choke tubes can be used .... I've had them take care of a Remington 1100 for me and they do excellent work .... before you give up on shooting skeet, try closing the eye you don't want to use in sighting your shotgun .... I know its not the generally accepted way but it does work .... I'm proof of that
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Over Under for Clays

Post by JEBar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:39 pm

PT7 wrote:Q on "closing the eye you don't want to use." Okay, that seems logical. But then do I just focus my view over the barrel and don't use any sights, correct? Just the same if both eyes were kept open? If I were to try and use the rifle sights, I think I'd never be able to keep effectively/accurately ahead of the clay as it zipped by.

all I can say is what I do .... that in no way means it is the right or best way .... I keep both eyes open until I shoulder the shotgun .... from that point on I close the left and sight down the ventilated rib (with a side by side I look down the ridge between the barrels ) ... I try to keep the front sight at 6 o'clock and move in front of the clay ... when I get to what I think is the right spot, I pull the trigger .... somewhere about then I open my left eye .... I really had to do some thinking about the sequence, I've done it that way for so long that its pretty much automatic
1 x