Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Over Under for Clays

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Over Under for Clays

Post by JCN » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Anyone here have an over/under for clays? I've been periodically getting into clay shooting sports (skeet, sporting clays, five stand) and always have to borrow or rent a shotgun. I could easily get into a good semi-auto but the over unders are so expensive!
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Over Under for Clays

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 pm

I don't have an O/U, but am enjoying my forays into trap shooting. So I'm interesting in your looking at shotguns for clays.
However, I'm not tracking 100% with you.

What kind of use do you plan for an O/U? You said "periodically" shooting. But are you planning to eventually do a lot of clays shooting? Whenever you start ramping up more rounds of clay, for instance, the number of shells you're shooting quickly rises. I'd think you'd want to possibly consider a quality S/G that will handle that.

I haven't compared prices between a semi-auto and an O/U. Is there a large spread there? You can "easily get into a good semi-auto" versus the expensive O/U's. What is your preference -- a semi or an O/U? Do you have a set price (don't tell me) you plan to spend? If so, that might be the dictator.

Since you don't have your own S/G, I think that renting and trying as many different models or configurations as possible would be helpful. That would give you a clearer idea what shoots well for you, and what kind of S/G you like to shoot, and how it will "fit you" as you handle it. Especially when going after those fast, zipping-by clays. ;)

For myself, since I know I won't be able to do a large amount of trap shooting, I bought a less-expensive field S/G with a 24" barrel in 20-gauge. I first wanted a S/G for hunting, ,and this one will be very good for that. Second use is to try out trap shooting or 5-stand. I've enjoyed it, and also learned how challenging a sport it is. I know my S/G is not a "dedicated" clays shooter, but it is okay for me. And I got the S/G action I really like to use, and bought a pump.

Sorry I wasn't much help to peg an answer for your question. I bet there are other folk that might have more for you, and I'll be interested to see how this thread goes forward in answering you.

JCN wrote:Anyone here have an over/under for clays? I've been periodically getting into clay shooting sports (skeet, sporting clays, five stand) and always have to borrow or rent a shotgun. I could easily get into a good semi-auto but the over unders are so expensive!
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:57 pm

I've had an O/U Ruger Red Label for many years .... beautiful shotgun that shoots well .... unfortunately, as with a single barrel and most pumps, it kicks like a mule .... even with skeet loads, 25 rounds will leave a bruise and 50 causes me a good deal of soreness ..... on the other hand, our Remington 11-87 on which I have upgraded the recoil pad and had a mercury recoil suppressor install is a pleasure to shoot .... when we shoot trap we routinely go 4 rounds (100 rounds) without any recoil related issues .... I plan to keep the Red Label but have no plans to use it
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:15 am

Have you every shot one of the Benelli shotguns? I've read that the Legacy series (in both 20-ga and 12-ga) are designed for clays competition. Those aren't an O/U model, rather a semi-auto. Another Benelli is the Ethos semi-auto. Very light weight 12-ga, moves easily and quickly, and built with their best recoil reduction system to date. I've handled it several times at my LGS; haven't shot one yet.

The last Benelli I'm thinking of is the only O/U they market, and the newest one they make -- the "828U Shotgun." I handled it also at the LGS, and it is very light at only 6.5 pounds. Sure would like to try one of these out someday.

JEBar wrote:I've had an O/U Ruger Red Label for many years .... beautiful shotgun that shoots well .... unfortunately, as with a single barrel and most pumps, it kicks like a mule .... even with skeet loads, 25 rounds will leave a bruise and 50 causes me a good deal of soreness ..... on the other hand, our Remington 11-87 on which I have upgraded the recoil pad and had a mercury recoil suppressor install is a pleasure to shoot .... when we shoot trap we routinely go 4 rounds (100 rounds) without any recoil related issues .... I plan to keep the Red Label but have no plans to use it
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:23 am

Benelli has a long standing, excellent reputation .... I've fired Franchi ===> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchi_(firearms) <=== semi-autos ...as noted in the link, Franchi is a division of Benelli .... best example I can give is I've used Stihl chainsaws for decades, in my hands they feel like what a chainsaw should feel like .... Husqvarna makes a great chainsaw but they just don't feel right in my hand .... for me that is the way it is with a Remington semi auto and a Franchi .... nothing against the Franchi but it just doesn't have the feel I've come to like .... as you know, semi autos use part of the recoil to cycle their actions .... in most cases they will have less felt recoil
1 x

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 am

I haven't even tried a semi auto yet, so I probably should. It looks like an entry level quality semi auto is around $1,500 (Beretta A400) and the O/Us are about $1,000 more. I'd really like to spend somewhere in the $1,500 to $2,000 range max.

I've only shot O/Us so that is where my comfort level is. Comfort is a relative word considering I agree with the post above that says 50 rounds leaves a bruise because I certainly experience that myself. Always assumed that if it was my personal shotgun I could configure a recoil system to minimize that.

My other concern with a semi auto is that I shoot shotgun lefty since I'm left eye dominant. Most shotguns on the market are set up righty which means all the ejection would occur across my face. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not. Again, I should probably try it out to see!
1 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:06 am

In my earlier post I mentioned that I like Benelli shotguns. And JEBar has shot a Franchi, which is made by Benelli.

Your price range is what caught my eye this time. The Legacy Sport II models by Benelli come in both 12-ga and 20-ga, and are designed for clays; their price range fits within your max. The Ethos s/g is just at your max; and the newest (and only) Benelli O/U, the 828U is about $500 over your max. Of course, all are MSRPs, and you'll get them for less than that.

To start with some web shopping, and again because I really like the two Benelli shotguns I've had, I'd suggest you take a glance at these three models. Good info about their specs, technology, and features are all listed:
http://www.benelliusa.com/828u-shotgun
http://www.benelliusa.com/ethos-shotgun
http://www.benelliusa.com/legacy-sport- ... i-shotguns

I think they are quality shotguns, and I really am most pleased with the performance of my Nova Pump Field s/g. It's a keeper for me!
JCN wrote:I haven't even tried a semi auto yet, so I probably should. It looks like an entry level quality semi auto is around $1,500 (Beretta A400) and the O/Us are about $1,000 more. I'd really like to spend somewhere in the $1,500 to $2,000 range max.

I've only shot O/Us so that is where my comfort level is. Comfort is a relative word considering I agree with the post above that says 50 rounds leaves a bruise because I certainly experience that myself. Always assumed that if it was my personal shotgun I could configure a recoil system to minimize that.

My other concern with a semi auto is that I shoot shotgun lefty since I'm left eye dominant. Most shotguns on the market are set up righty which means all the ejection would occur across my face. I'm not sure if that is an issue or not. Again, I should probably try it out to see!
1 x

~Пока~

ditchparrot
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by ditchparrot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:07 pm

I shoot a TriStar TT-15 DT (over/under) for trap. I've had the gun for about a year and I'm thrilled with it. It has a lot of the features of guns costing 5 times (or more) as much. I participate in quite a few registered shoots, often firing 300 shots per day (100 singles, 100 handicap and 50 pairs of doubles). The gun can be had for about $1,100 and is worth far more, IMO.

I have a Franchi Renaissance O/U that's one of the guns I use for bird hunting. I shoot it pretty well and it's very light, and thus easy to carry.

The big advantage of an O/U for clays is the ability to have different chokes in the gun at the same time. With a semi-auto, you obviously don't have that option.
2 x
Henry Big Boy Rifle .357
Henry Classic .22
Henry Lever-Action .410
Henry Big Boy Revolver .357

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:48 pm

if I was in the market for a shotgun, without question, I'd go with a Remington VERSA MAX ===> https://www.remington.com/shotguns/auto ... -sportsman <=== it has a really interesting and effective recoil reduction system .... personally, I'd go with a wood stock model but being way beyond old school, I guess that would pretty much be a given .... it is a well tested product that has been put through the ringer on the 3 gun shooting circuits
1 x

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Catherine » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:47 am

JCN wrote:Anyone here have an over/under for clays? I've been periodically getting into clay shooting sports (skeet, sporting clays, five stand) and always have to borrow or rent a shotgun. I could easily get into a good semi-auto but the over unders are so expensive!
I do not own a shotgun but I always liked the looks and everything else about an over/under shotgun, a single shot shotgun and a side by side shotgun.

Cate
0 x