Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Over Under for Clays

Catherine
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Over Under for Clays

Post by Catherine » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:36 am

The Beretta Silver Pigeon is the o/u shotgun that I have admired for a long time. It is just under $2,000. at our favorite gun store (Ronan, MT) and it comes in various gauges.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/686-silver-pigeon-i/

I don't hunt or shoot trap/skeet but I really LIKE that gun.

It is very popular with people with people who hunt and are into trap and skeet out here. It has an outstanding reputation from what I have been told.

Cate
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:50 pm

I have a Stoeger Condor. It is a bottom line O/U. Retails for around $400. I wasn't sure I would stick with skeet, so wasn't going to spend a bundle on a shotgun that would just sit in the safe for years. I got 20 gauge because my daughter and I use the same gun, and I normally only go the skeet range with her.

It has a good feel to it and has performed well for us. We both stink at skeet and trap, but have a good time. It is likely not an extremely durable weapon and will not stand up to many tens of thousands of rounds without trouble. I doubt that gun that costs 5 times as much actually shoots much better, however.

Full disclosure, after a year of use, I broke a firing pin. Since it was still under warranty, I sent it back to Benneli (owner company) for repair. If it weren't under warranty, I would probably just order the $4 part and install it myself. Doesn't look like too bad a job. I understand broken firing pins are not uncommon with O/U and single shot.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:57 am

I'm leaning towards the Silver Pigeon Sporting model in 12 gauge and 30" barrels. There are a couple of ranges that rent them out so I'm going to give it a try first.
0 x
Henry Big Boy Steel .357 mag

tractortad
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by tractortad » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:02 am

We also have a Stoeger Condor for exactly the same reasons Clovishound has his - except ours is a 12 gauge. We occasionally use it to shoot clays on one of our hay fields here in the Shenandoah Valley. It has served us well for the price (about $300 10 yrs ago).
0 x
US Submarine Service 1976-2006
Henry H001TLP,H001TLB,H003T,H004,H006R,H006M,H012R,H012AW,H012MRCC,H010CC,H015-357,H015-44,H015-4570
Winchester 9422,1873,1885,1886,1892
Marlin 39A,AS,CL,D,M,Mountie,TDS,1897CB,Texan,1894CB,1895CBA,1895SBL
Ruger #1 44Mag

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:43 pm

For further info, in case anyone cares, I just got off the phone with Benelli. They are sending me a replacement Condor. There appeared to be an issue with the hole in the receiver that the firing pin rides in. The CS guy at Benelli could not have been nicer. There was an issue with the weapon making it out of the sporting goods store I purchased it at. It sat in their back room for a couple of weeks before I called to get an update. Benelli bumped it to the head of the line when it finally came in because I had been waiting for several weeks, even though it was not their fault. Good on them.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 am

Glad to hear it, hopefully it gets taken care of quickly.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:32 am

clovishound wrote:I just got off the phone with Benelli. They are sending me a replacement Condor. The CS guy at Benelli could not have been nicer. There was an issue with the weapon making it out of the sporting goods store I purchased it at. It sat in their back room for a couple of weeks before I called to get an update. Benelli bumped it to the head of the line when it finally came in because I had been waiting for several weeks, even though it was not their fault. Good on them.
while Benelli isn't a brand I would buy (simply a matter of personal preference), its great to hear of their good customer support .... that level of support is in keeping with and reinforces their good long term reputation .... thanks for posting your experience
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:57 am

clovishound wrote:... I just got off the phone with Benelli. They are sending me a replacement Condor... Good on them.
That's great news for you, CH, and a very good report card for Benelli's warranty and CS. Thanks for the update.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:10 am

That's great news, clovishound. And also good for me to hear about the helpful CS you received. My Benelli Pump Field 20-ga is only 4 months old, and good to know about Benelli's CS if I have a need for their help.

I liked your expression: "Good on them." :)

Thanks much for the post.
clovishound wrote:... I just got off the phone with Benelli. They are sending me a replacement Condor... Good on them.
0 x

~Пока~

JCN
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by JCN » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:40 pm

I went out to Bass Pro Shops yesterday to continue my search for an over under. They carry a Winchester (made by FN in Belgium) that looks like a pretty good deal. 30" ported barrels, 5 extended chokes, mid bead and no auto safety. All around what I am looking for. In the end, comparing it to the Beretta was no comparison at all. The Beretta is just one fine piece of hardware. The receiver is slimmer which much nicer engraving and the walnut is gorgeous on the stock and forend. I guess you get what you pay for!

Turners (a local outdoors chain here) has them on sale for $1,999 this week so I may 'pull the trigger' and pick one up. I feel like I did the research at least to be comfortable in the decision. Thank you for all that weighed in.
0 x