Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Old-World Craftsmanship

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Old-World Craftsmanship

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 am

I've had two shotguns, one a pump and the second a side-by-side. When I was researching different SxS shotguns, I saw this video posted on a forum almost two years ago. Of course, I didn't have a Holland & Holland---and never will unless a rich uncle I don't know leaves me his estate and stocks. Or he may have an H&H shotgun that I might inherit! ;)

I found the video (about 19 minutes long) most interesting, entertaining, and almost relaxing (I like classical music). So I thought I'd share with anyone who likes shotguns, or is interested in gunmaking. Here's the youtube intro/summary:

Short edit of Holland and Holland Gunmaking Craftsmanship video. This edit was originally screened at gun shows. Full edit is available on DVD from Holland and Holland, 70 minutes of more detailed gunmaking with explanations from the craftsmen, and detailed extras on rifling and gunfitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk

To me, the extensive amount of handwork is astonishing; that lends itself to the very high cost of a hand-made shotgun.
I was most impressed with all the woodworking portions....beautiful stocks, with fantastic checkering and polishing.
And the work on the barrel alignment was very interesting -- SxS shotguns shoot best with closely aligned barrels. The resultant 4-shot group took me by surprise.

I think it's well-worth watching. Old-world craftsmanship is still being used.
Most of all, I believe the beauty of the completed product is an expectation.
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Old-World Craftsmanship

Post by JEBar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 am

really good find, thanks for posting it
0 x

RoadBlocker
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by RoadBlocker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Must be a genuine labor of love for those gunmakers. Very appropriate back ground music too. Thanks for sharing.
RB.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:34 pm

RoadBlocker wrote:Must be a genuine labor of love for those gunmakers. Very appropriate back ground music too. Thanks for sharing.
RB.
You're welcome, RB. And I think you're correct - it is a labor of love.
I'd like to share a short story about my Dad, who loved being a craftsman and jack-of-all-trades.

My Dad was a precision model maker for years at Bell & Howell, and CAI Industries. He made, from scratch, the metal graduated lens rings and most other metal parts for older style cameras. Anyway, at our home, one of his four workshops was a metals shop. When I was a youngster, I watched him do precision metal cutting, fitting, and polishing. Tedious and detailed labor, and he did love the work.

One of his granddaughters (my niece) is a quadriplegic, and has never walked. Maybe ten years before my Dad passed away, he designed and made a bicycle for her that fit her arms & legs perfectly, and she could ride for the first time! He made it out of scrape metal tubes that he had salvaged (Thursdays were curb-side trash and recycling in his town -- he was out and about often doing his collecting!). The project included the design, cutting, fitting, welding, polishing, etc. Anyway, I thought that was a pretty fantastic piece of bike work he did, and so did my niece!

As I said, he has passed away, and that was before I became interested in firearms. I am certain he would love to see and handle my stainless steel Ruger revolver and two Henrys. But I'd have to watch him most carefully. His first goal or "project" would be to take them apart and see how they worked, and also to check out Henry's workmanship!! I'm pretty certain Henry would "pass" Dad's scrutiny and inspection.

Anyway, kind of remembering Dad, I enjoy watching such videos as the H&H craftsman building the SxS shotguns. Really cool stuff. And as I think about it, I bet Dad would have been an excellent gunsmith!
Last edited by PT7 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Great story, PT7. Thanks for sharing the memories.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"