Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Medicine for the Coyotes

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Medicine for the Coyotes

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:56 pm

We have had a problem here on the farm with Coyotes and Coons stealing chickens free ranging around the coop. Before we left VA I had purchased the new release from Mossberg (at the time,) the Shockwave. A shorty NOT shotgun. It was a 12gauge firearm, compact and easy to store in the UTV, fitting right behind the seat under the seatback so it would be right there handy, and also made a nice truck gun. Since it WASN'T a shotgun it wasn't illegal to carry in the truck. I had a letter from the ATF to prove it. :) With practice, it was pretty easy to hit targets pretty quick, out to about 10 or 15 yards. At the time, we were more worried about rabid varmints, or the ones that tried to enter the coop.

Amazon had their sale recently and I picked up a rail for the Shockwave. Installed using the factory tapped holes on top, four provided screws. Five minutes.

shockwave rail comp.jpg

I had a SIG red dot sight I had removed from another firearm and never used and it bolted right on the rail and works like a champ. Can't wait to test this thing and see how it shoots. I'm sure it will allow us to stretch the range a bit. :D

shockwave reddot comp.jpg

Both the Glock 35 and the Glock 22 .40 cals have lights on them for night ops around the farm, this will be a great partner. When the motion lights come on or the Westie tells us the Yotes are around, we will be ready to check the property. We have a couple heifers ready to calve, and we don't want to donate the calves to the yote pack. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Team Roper
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Medicine for the Coyotes

Post by Team Roper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:26 pm

I used to hunt yotes on my farm with a Rem 700 , 22-250 but one day I had three very big ones come 150 yards of me but could only get one. I have since put this one together for my yote gun.
IMG_0804 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Army Paratrooper
173 rd Airborne Brigade, 2nd/503 rd. Airborne Infantry, Vietnam 66-67, point man, tunnel rat
combat jump 2/67
82 nd Airborne Div. 1st/505th Airborne Infantry, Vietnam, 68, Sniper
jumped with the Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:13 pm

I have an Armalite AR 10 308 with the Vortex Viper 2.5 - 10 scope and the 45 degree combat sights if one of the coyotes or worse, pigs, charges. :shock:
The shockwave is the tagalong in the polaris, or the pickup, or walking the fence line (Miss Tina) gun. :oops: Don't underestimate the farm wife. Miss T put down platoons of squirrels with the Nikon scoped CZ I set up for her. 8-) She grew up hunting with mom and dad... :D
2 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:15 am

Team Roper wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:26 pm
I used to hunt yotes on my farm with a Rem 700 , 22-250 but one day I had three very big ones come 150 yards of me but could only get one. I have since put this one together for my yote gun.
IMG_0804 (1).JPG
I have something very similar. ;)

RP
1 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:48 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:56 pm
It was a 12gauge firearm

just curious, what size shot do you find works best :?:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am

We haven't shot it extensively, but I'm shooting mostly slugs an 00 buck. Both do very well and are manageable with a push/pull grip.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:19 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am
We haven't shot it extensively, but I'm shooting mostly slugs an 00 buck. Both do very well and are manageable with a push/pull grip.
that is really good to hear .... I was wondering about hanging onto it when firing high brass shells
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:44 am

JEBar wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:19 am
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am
that is really good to hear .... I was wondering about hanging onto it when firing high brass shells
No problem, the strap on the front hand guard makes the grip on the "firearm" really secure. Even Tina was surprised. However.. You should NOT try and bring the gun up close to your face with your arms bent and try to aim. I warned her twice to keep the gun extended... :roll:

Later in the shooting session when recoil pushed her rear grip hand into her lip...
:o she didn't say one word. :P Okay, she said a lot. $#@%
Nothing directed at me.

When the shockwave first came out, a video popped up on youtube, with a guy demonstrating a technique in which he used his single point sling, and pushed the shockwave forward tight against the properly adjusted sling. Then he could get a cheek weld on the taunt sling and aim as if the shockwave had a stock. I tried it and it works well.

:D
0 x