Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone Handled the Mossberg Shockwave?

Conax
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Anyone Handled the Mossberg Shockwave?

Post by Conax » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:25 am

My brother was a Remington 870 guy while I always shot a Winchester 1300.
They're all pretty good but we do have our personal favorites. That 1300 was stone reliable, fed everything and had a slick action. I gave a Mossberg to my kid for his birthday, I like them just fine. The Mossbergs have really caught on in modern times, lots of accessories available and they're good guns at good prices.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm

I ordered a sling swivel for my Shockwave and it came in this evening. Installation would have taken about three minutes, but I took the time to take pictures, so I could share it with ya'll. This is the GG&G Quick Release single point side sling mount. Just what I was looking for.

To get started, I first insured the firearm was unloaded, the chamber was clear, and I had the tools I needed on hand. Proper sized punch, blue loc-tite, and the parts kit which included the allen wrench, plastic pads, the receiver for the quick release sling swivel and the screw that will replace the trigger retaining pin.
01 ready to start.jpg
Here is a close up peek at the kit.
02 the swivel kit.jpg
The first step was to knock out the trigger retaining pin. I used a proper sized punch, and a light tap with a nylon hammer. No problem at all.
03 remove trigger pin.jpg
Since my memory is VERY short I forgot to take a picture of the next step, but the whole process is easy as pie. Without pulling on the trigger assembly, I put the smaller of the two plastic guards on the screw and inserted it from the right side, since I am right handed and wanted the sling swivel on the left. Another light tap with the nylon mallet seated the screw.

I put the larger of the plastic guards over the screw on the left side, readying the screw to receive the swivel base. I put a couple drops of Loc-tight in the threads of the base and lightly screwed it in place until it contacted the plastic guard. For aesthetics, I turned the logo UP. I then used the allen key to turn the screw from the right side a 1/2 turn to draw the assembly tight, but not TOO tight. I worked the action to insure the bolt functioned smoothly.
04 installed the base.jpg
If the base assembly is too tight it will flex the aluminum receiver and bind the bolt. If this happens, loosen the screw 1/4 turn and try again. Do this BEFORE the loc-tight sets. :lol:

Now test the quick release swivel.
05 removable swivel.jpg
I always mark and save any parts removed...
06 save the pin.jpg
I plan to use a single point sling, and it worked out perfectly.
Fits well and detaches with a pop of the button.
07 Single point sling.jpg
08 pops right off.jpg
No permanent changes to the firearm and swapping back to the original setup would take about two minutes. :roll: If I remember where I stored the dang pin when the time comes. :P (That's why I have a large tupperware storage bin with all the gun parts stored in there. It's a matter of digging thru and finding that small bag among all the parts.) :roll: :? :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Joezilla
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Joezilla » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm

Nice job!

Joe
1 x

Joe.45
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Joe.45 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:58 am

I haven’t shot the Shockwave but in my local Florida Gun forums many people are re-selling them and I have seen them for as low as $275/$300.
My choice for HD is a Remington 870 Marine Magnum with a 18 inch barrel.
0 x
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
H006M; H006MR; H001T; H004; another H001T

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am

thanks for taking the time and effort to record and post the pictures along with your comments .... 8-)
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:30 am

Great write up BoM. I agree with the reasons you chose the Mossberg. Two reasons I like Mossberg shotguns are the safety location and slide release, although the slide release won’t come in to play on my new semi auto. The safety is in the most natural spot.
0 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Mgderf
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Mgderf » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:21 pm

Redthies wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:30 am
Great write up BoM. I agree with the reasons you chose the Mossberg. Two reasons I like Mossberg shotguns are the safety location and slide release, although the slide release won’t come in to play on my new semi auto. The safety is in the most natural spot.
Same for me.
I grew up with a Mossberg 500 12ga and I just can't get used to any safety that's not on the tang.
Seems like the most natural placement, but I'm sure that's just what I'm used to.

For those reasons, and just because I'm a Mossy fan, I bought the Shockwave.
I purchased the .410bore model, but plan on adding all three flavors to the herd.
I bought the .410 first because I found it on sale for a decent price, and because I thought it would be the harder of the three to locate.

I'll buy the 12ga and 20ga as the come available, and as funds allow.
I already have the model 500 in 12ga, 20ga, and .410bore so the Shockwaves are just adding to the collection.
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:33 pm

I think the .410 version would sell the least, but would make an awesome “hey there’s dinner” gun for in the pickup. We have grouse everywhere here and that would slay them nicely!
0 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Oh, and @BrokenolMarine: I have the exact same hammer on my workbench. It’s been going strong for close to 20 years!
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:20 am

New addition to my Shockwave, nice 6 shot shell holder with a Picatinny rail. I have the model with the laser so had to get some longer mounting screws. Had already added the light, just need a sling and holder like BrokenolMarine put on his and I'll be done.

Darn, just realized I need to get something to put on the new Picatinny rail.

0 x