Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

The Confusing World of Ruger Grip Frames

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

The Confusing World of Ruger Grip Frames

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:58 am

I just ordered some Bear Paw Grips for a New Model Blackhawk. I have a couple other New Model Blackhawks. Well dummy me cant keep up with all these different Ruger Grip frames. Theres one for a SBH and one for a NMB and then theres one for an old 3 screw BH. Now throw in the Vaquero and last of all the flattop. So the grips I ordered for the gun I wanted to put them on didnt fit. But they fit my other 2 NMB. Confused I had to call the grip maker Bear Paw to get a lesson in Ruger grip frames. The flattop has the Vaquero New Model grip frame which is different than the grip frame on the other new model Rugers that I have. Needless to say I kept the grips and put them on my 4 5/8 barrel 357 and Im going to shoot that one and see how I like that. It almost makes a guy wanna just shoot double actions and say to heck with this confusion. Almost!
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: The Confusing World of Ruger Grip Frames

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:24 pm

over time I've owned 3 Ruger single action revolvers .... a 22LR, 357, & 44 .... all three had rosewood grips .... they were beautiful but he 44 Mag Blackhawk was really hard to hold onto when firing hunting level ammo .... until your post I hadn't thought much about it but can't say I'm surprised to hear that it wouldn't be simple to order replacements
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Hey, I'd be glad to help if you have questions on Ruger SA grip frames. Yeah, it can be a confusing mess, but I've been dealing with that mess for so long I know my way around.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:58 pm

NCG
This guy I bought my grips from told me dont put a XR3 Red frame on my flattop because there aluminum. That aluminum checks out for that frame but also I see you cant even buy one as nobody sells one anymore. There only sold in a rough form where fitting needs to be done. I dont want to do that. But I would change the frame on the Flattop to another frame if it was a take the current one off and put another one back on.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:14 pm

I have no problem with the aluminum grip frame as far as durability. I do prefer steel for the weight and the looks. The problem with replacing grip frames on Ruger SAs is that it's going to be a bit hit and miss as to how one fits on a particular action frame. That's one of the reasons they are typically sold in the rough, so you can fit as needed to your gun.

This is a bad time to be looking for parts, in general, due to production slowdowns brought on by the pandemic.

About the only grip frame that seems to be available anymore is the steel Bisley grip frame, but that conversion also involves changing the hammer, trigger and associated parts and it is not cheap. Brownell's sells the Ruger Bisley grip frame (in the white), then you have to go with the Power Custom Bisley trigger conversion kit, since Ruger no longer sells those parts. And, of course, you still have to add Bisley wood grips. By the time you're done, you're pushing $400, which is just nuts. You could probably find a used Bisley Blacktop 44 Special or 45 Colt for not a whole lot more.

Only other option is to hunt e-bay for used take off grips.

I would contact Altamont to see when they expect to have that grip in stock that you want. They can also answer any question you might have on the proper grip. I suspect hey actually make a lot of Ruger SA grips for Ruger.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:14 pm

Thanks NCG for your advice. I wont be spending 400 to convert it for sure. I do have a line on a couple of sets of grips that will fit the flattop. Bearpaw does have a couple of sets. Im thinking about ordering one of his.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:08 am

For sure, if you can find some nice grips that will fit, go for it.
0 x