Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Recoil comparison

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Recoil comparison

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm

As for recoil between the 38 and the 9, there's a lot of overlap if we just consider the cartridges, themselves. You can buy light SD loads for both or go for the hotter stuff. As so expertly discussed, though, you have to take into account the guns themselves. I'm one of those 70 year old gals, now, so, yes, racking a slide can be an issue. It's not just the recoil spring weight, it's also the slide design, right down to the design of the cocking serrations. Interestingly, the fancy serrations designs don't work as well for me as the simple traditional mil-spec designs on my 1911s.

I can also tell you from personal experience helping some of my girl friends find a carry gun they like, you're wasting your time trying to predict what they will like and trying to choose for them. No substitute for letting them try various choices to see what works for them.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:48 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm
As for recoil between the 38 and the 9, there's a lot of overlap if we just consider the cartridges, themselves. You can buy light SD loads for both or go for the hotter stuff. As so expertly discussed, though, you have to take into account the guns themselves. I'm one of those 70 year old gals, now, so, yes, racking a slide can be an issue. It's not just the recoil spring weight, it's also the slide design, right down to the design of the cocking serrations. Interestingly, the fancy serrations designs don't work as well for me as the simple traditional mil-spec designs on my 1911s.

I can also tell you from personal experience helping some of my girl friends find a carry gun they like, you're wasting your time trying to predict what they will like and trying to choose for them. No substitute for letting them try various choices to see what works for them.
Thanks NCG ( Joanie ) , was hoping you would chime in as well, so thank you.
Gonna take her up there Thursday to check out a couple options. Just got off the phone with her and explained the things that we will be looking at when we get to the store.
Unfortunately, they do not have a range to actually try shooting all options. Once she picks one she likes, then we will rely on some guidance at the store as to an appropriate load regarding recoil issues.
Definitely appreciate your input!!
She has never owned a semi auto, and my goal is to tutor her to the best of my ability, how it all works. Like me, she loves revolvers, but just wants more capacity. The ways of the world currently have inspired her.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:05 am

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:48 pm
North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks NCG ( Joanie ) , was hoping you would chime in as well, so thank you.
Gonna take her up there Thursday to check out a couple options. Just got off the phone with her and explained the things that we will be looking at when we get to the store.
Unfortunately, they do not have a range to actually try shooting all options. Once she picks one she likes, then we will rely on some guidance at the store as to an appropriate load regarding recoil issues.
Definitely appreciate your input!!
She has never owned a semi auto, and my goal is to tutor her to the best of my ability, how it all works. Like me, she loves revolvers, but just wants more capacity. The ways of the world currently have inspired her.
Taking a que from your last para, I ran across this article hosted on Boondocks Academy (the premier training outfit in MS), that I thought might interest you and your sister once she gets that new pistol.
https://boondocksfta.com/2019/10/automaticity/

Automaticity
By Chad Winkler | October 1, 2019

Automaticity – au·to·ma·tic·i·ty – the ability to do things without occupying the mind with the low-level details required, allowing it to become an automatic response pattern or habit. It is usually the result of learning, repetition, and practice.

Recently I have been reading a book by Karl Rehn and John Daub entitled, “Strategies and Standards for Defensive Handgun Training.” In the book, I came across the graphic below. It originates from John Hearn’s book “Straight Talk on Armed Defense” and tries to indicate the important factors of prevailing in a gunfight. As you can tell from the diagram, the most important factors are the ability to control your emotions and your level of automaticity. The other two factors on the “What You Can Control Side” are Fitness and Gear, with gear being the smallest factor. Another interesting fact in Karl and John’s book is the very low percentage of gun owners that train on a regular basis. He estimates that only about 1% of gun owners who have taken a Basic Permit class ever go on to take a more advanced class or shoot in a match. Instead, gun owners are spending their resources on purchasing new guns. According to the FBI NICS data, the number of background checks for gun purchases have tripled from 8 million in 2000 to over 26 million last year. The actual number of gun purchases is likely much higher since the 17 million Permit Holders in the United States would not have to go through a NICS background check when purchasing a gun. So, it appears as if gun owners and permit holders are investing their money in gear instead of training, the exact opposite of what the graphs suggests. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like buying new guns as much as anyone, but buying new guns and not actually training with them is probably the worst-case scenario for those serious about carrying a firearm for personal defense.

Beware of the man that only owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it. The only way to build automaticity with a particular gun is to train/practice with THAT gun. If you’re buying new and different guns on a regular basis then you are probably not going to be able to increase your automaticity with any one gun. If you have to rely on your brain to remember that the gun you are carrying today has a safety, or that you need to chamber a round before you fire, you’re already behind the “emotional control” curve. During a gunfight, your body should be able to automatically draw and fire without ever having to “think” about it. That is automaticity, and when you have reached that level in your training, then your brain is free to focus on emotional control.

Gaining Emotional Control

Once you have gained automaticity, the next step is to work on emotional control. One of the best ways to do that is through experience. In an article called Training vs. Experience, Greg Ellifritz with Active Response Training talks about some of the best ways to gain experience. He also highlights an FBI study that talks about the experience level of your potential attacker. The results of the study are staggering

“Nearly 40% of the criminal attackers in this study had received FORMAL firearms training”
“More than 80% of the criminal attackers regularly practiced with their firearms, with an average number of 23 Practice Sessions Per Year!”
“More than 40% of the criminals identified in the study had at least one gunfight experience before attacking the officer”
“25% of the attackers had been involved in more than five gunfights!”

One felon in the study had been shot in 10 different gunfights, before being killed by a homeowner during a home invasion. Do you think he had more experience and emotional control than the average gun owner? Greg does a great job in his article giving you some options to help you gain experience, which includes force-on-force training. Greg states “the best type of this training is conducted at professional shooting schools and uses tightly-scripted professional role players. It is costly, but worth the expense. You will learn more in one day of this type of training than you will learn in weeks of practicing by yourself.”

To Test Your Equipment, You Have to Stress Your Equipment

While the gear you use in a gunfight is not as important as your emotional control and automaticity, it does need to work. Simply taking your gun to a range and punching holes in paper a couple of times a year is not truly testing your gear. In order to be confident your gear will work when you need it to, you need to be stress testing that gear. That means drawing and shooting under some type of stress like a timed course of fire, shooting from retention or compromised positions. These types of drills can’t be covered in a one-day Basic Permit class, your going to have to look into at least a 2-day class where you are putting hundreds of rounds down range in a variety of drills. I can’t tell you how many times we have seen sub-par gear or heavily modified guns fail during these types of training classes or during a shooting match. In fact, almost every single nationally known trainer will tell you to bring a SPARE GUN to their class.

Are You Fit Enough?

One of the final aspects of “What You Can Control” is fitness. While fitness is definitely important in being able to survive a gunfight, it may be more important in a whole host of situations. Our friend, Dave Spaulding, does an excellent job in this video on the importance of fitness and being able to be an active participant in your own rescue. I encourage you to take a few minutes to watch it.

The bottom line is to “invest in yourself.” You will likely fair much better both physically and financially if you spend your resources on training, rather than chasing the latest, greatest gun or gadget to try and improve your shooting. Believe it or not, the money spent on training will likely guide you to the best gun for you long before you find it on your own.
2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 am

While I was at my local indoor range a while back I shot a P365. I didnt like it. Its the finger pinch I get at the bottom of the trigger between it and the guard. H&K does that to me also. Buddie has 2 of them and I can shoot them pretty well but I dont like that pinch. M&P doesnt do that to me and they feel good in my hand. My EDC though is a Sig 938. Like it alot.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 am
While I was at my local indoor range a while back I shot a P365. I didnt like it. Its the finger pinch I get at the bottom of the trigger between it and the guard. H&K does that to me also. Buddie has 2 of them and I can shoot them pretty well but I dont like that pinch. M&P doesnt do that to me and they feel good in my hand. My EDC though is a Sig 938. Like it alot.
A replacement flat face trigger will fix that pinch - available as a drop in replacement from Sig.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am

I carry a 9mm Shield from time to time and my go to ammo is the Federal Low Recoil Hydro-Skok’s. I really haven’t compared the recoil to standard 9mm but she might take a look at a low recoil type of ammo.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:57 am

Thank you Gunny for your post about Boondocks! Lots of good info there.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:59 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54 am
I carry a 9mm Shield from time to time and my go to ammo is the Federal Low Recoil Hydro-Skok’s. I really haven’t compared the recoil to standard 9mm but she might take a look at a low recoil type of ammo.
Thanks Hatch for the reccomendation !
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:42 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:55 am

Plus one on the Sig 938. Great little carry gun, accurate and fun to shoot, as well.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:24 pm

Will let you all know what she ends up with. Currently, her brain is set on the Hellcat, ( partly my fault probably ), but I'm going to insist that she handles a few and understands the differences before buying. I very much doubt she will ever purchase another. She is not a collector, by any means. Just wants to feel as safe as possible.
Thank you all for your input and opinions!! We're still scheduled to go tomorrow.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry