Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Contender firing pin and spring change.

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Contender firing pin and spring change.

Post by PJM » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:07 am

Snow and rain today. Decided to change cf pin and spring today. Was worried bushing would not come out readily as in there for 30 plus years. Good news it readily came out. Will replace with Bellm hardened pin and spring which is on the way. I figure if I wait too long parts may be harder to find then they are now.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Contender firing pin and spring change.

Post by JEBar » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02 pm

per Hannibal, "I love it when a plan comes together" .... looking forward to the "rest of the story"
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Good idea. When I was shooting my vintage Contenders, Bellms was my source for parts like springs and soon.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:53 am

They are one of the few sources left for old style TC's and good to deal with. I do miss the folks at TC in Rochester, NH as it was close and convenient. I once brought in a used hawken I had bought to replace the breech plug. They said there would be no charge. I explained that I was not the original owner. They responded that it did not matter as they were guaranteed for life.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:51 pm

New pin and springs came in today. Put in with little effort. Putting the hammer spring back in was another story. Due to arthritic hands had multiple miscues,watched the video 2x, had all the right tools, and still took over 2 hours to get it right. That spring has to be captured by 2 different size punches from opposite sides while depressing the spring.That spring better last a lifetime as it will never be taken out again. Alls well that ends well!
0 x