Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Handgun Grip

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Handgun Grip

Post by PT7 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Very enlightening comments, NCG.

What Miculek said was clearly evident seen in the shooting he did. The k.i.s.s principle is so true. Glad you pointed this out, which helps in reducing those "complicated variables."

I never quite acquired good shooting skills with the different SA revolvers I've had. That's mainly because I am a member of the group that swears the plow grip is and belongs at the bottom of the barrel. Your suggestion on the "pinky under grip" might have been a good thing to try. I don't know if that is doable on my Russian. It has a lanyard ring on the bottom of the grip plus the trigger spur. This SA revolver provides those two additional complexities!

I'm now dealing with new-to-me grip styles shooting muzzleloaders. It is great to always have shooting challenges to brighten the day, isn't it? :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise with everyone.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am
... as this matter may seem, it's actually complicated and filled with many variables.

Jerry Miculek is right when he says you want a grip and technique that is easy to repeat, shot after shot. In other words, don't make it complicated. Keep it simple and something you can easily repeat, shot after shot.

Yup, the pinky under grip on my single actions turns the old plow grip from being what some regard as the worst handgun grip to being the simplest to use handgun grip for me. Dovetails beautifully with the overall simplicity of a single action revolvers.
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:33 pm

If I've helped any way, it makes my day. You are very welcome, folks. A great resource for the pinky under the grip is cowboy action shooting vids. Some of them go into detail. Check youtube.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 pm

As far as that old plow handle grip not being something to be admired by everyone, I understand that. Each to their own, as always. For this old cowgirl at heart, though, nothing pulls as sweet from a holster and balances so perfectly when pointed as a plow handle grip attached to a Colt single action. I've never found anything to equal it. Same for looks. Class never goes out of style.

5 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:15 pm

I am glad that the standard grip works for you. I have two single action revolvers. One is a Colt second generation .45 with a 7 1/2" barrel that I bought new in the seventies. I quickly fitted it with a set of Herrets over sized grips The other is a Ruger Blackhawk .45Colt/ .45 A.C. P. . It has Pachmyr oversized rubber grips. I have large hands and just can't shoot single action revolvers with the standard grips. To me Colt made mistake in 1873 by not using the bigger 1860 Army grip on it's new model cartridge revolver. With the early load in the 45 of forty grains of black powder and the 250 grain slug , they most have really been a handful.
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:43 pm

One other thing on the subject of handgun grips. The National Match .45 has the arched mainspring housing that Uncle Sam adapted in the 1920's as the 1911-A! . The arched grip makes it point and shoot a lot better for me. I don't understand why all of the new 1911's by several manufacturers are using the flat grip instead of the "improved" arched one.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am

Interesting points, Travlin. My husband has huge paws and he does not like the plow grips. On the other hand, we have a Bisley Single Six which he shoots even better than his favorite S&W 617 DA 22 revolver. The plow grips do better for me and my smaller hands, but, have to say, I also shoot this one very well. It's an 80s vintage Ruger, first year for the Ruger Bisley.

I can shoot any kind of 1911, either the flat or arched ms housing. Maybe just a coincidence, but my two favorite 1911s have the arched housing. One is my old reliable, my SA Mil- spec and the other is my Dan Wesson A2, which is still made by the way. The A2 is kind of DW's interpretation of what a mil-spec 1911 would look like, today. Though not a custom gun, my A2 is a 1911 that I will put up against any 1911 made for quality and function. I don't care much for flashy when it comes to 1911s, so this DW is my favorite. Finish is blued, by the way, which is another preference of mine in a 1911, given I'm a traditionalist.
3 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:15 pm

I am glad to see that someone still makes a 1911 with the arched housing. The Bisley is certainly an improvement in the single action grip. I put a Super Blackhawk hammer with it's lowered spur on my Blackhawk .45 before I ever shot it.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:19 am

0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50