Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Handgun Grip

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Handgun Grip

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm

It wasn't until just recently that I purchased a new Ruger .22 single ten.
Have only shot double action revolvers in the past. I'm asking those of you, ( which is probably most ) to give your opinion of the different feel between grips, and aiming. I am feeling a definite diference between the two. No opinion so far.
I want to acclimate and feel comfortable with both w/o having to think about it. Know what I mean?
Any input is appreciated.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Handgun Grip

Post by Mags » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:37 pm

Last edited by Mags on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:38 pm

This has NCG written all over it.
2 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:38 pm
This has NCG written all over it.

No doubt...just hoping and waiting. I DO really want some thoughts on this.
It is a bit of a quandary to me.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:01 am

Stock grips on most SA pistols are terrible!

They are thin, offer little in the way of 'hand filling' feel or support. About the same as early wood grips on some S & W revolvers - especially 'J' frame models.

Most owners of SA revolvers don't shoot them enough to ever notice a difference but most SA revolvers can be dramatically improved with better, modern grip designs.

There are some SA grip styles that are only slightly different in design from the stock ones but may have minor changes that really help such as finger grooves or maybe just a bit bigger girth for better 'hand filling'.

Hit Ebay and look at some grips for your gun that are for sale and you will most likely find some you may like better than your stock ones fairly cheap.

This is how I have always eventually found grips I like is by cheap, used grips on Ebay.

You can also hit your LGS and see what they have and pop them out of the package for a trial 'grip' in your hand as well. Maybe even bring your gun in and mount them on it for a test.

Bottom line is there are a lot of alternatives and you don't have to stick with the originals if they do not fit you well.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 am

Thanks Ed. A lot to consider. i know we will talk about this in the future.!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 am

Some info and links .... https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/ ... e-six.html

And this is your “go to forum” for your new revolver .... http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewf ... 782f08d086

Note that there is a Rugerforum.net but it is not very active. I can’t offer any specific grip advice except I do suggest that you check your gun VERY closely, Ruger quality is slipping and some bad guns are getting shipped. I bought a Single Seven in .327 Federal Mag and it worked fine empty, but it had all kinds of issues at the range like the cylinder pin walking out and the action freezing. Ruger could not fix it (nor did they have another functional Single Seven .327 to send me) and I ended up demanding and receiving a cash refund. I ended up buying an SP101 in the same caliber and other than the sucky trigger it has been stellar. I love this gun and it is my daily carry choice, but only in times not so troubled as these days.

Sounds a little like my new BBX but I think that is fixed... except for the bad trigger.

Ruger SA triggers are not bad but can be excellent. Consider shims and better springs from .... https://triggershims.com/ruger_single_action.html ... if nothing else, the instruction videos are excellent.

Enjoy your new gun, I hope it is a keeper.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 am

I guess I should have been more specific; the issue is the webbing on my hand between my thumb and fore finger.
On the DA's, the register of my hand is the frame above the grip.
On the SA, that does not exist. My hand is able to just slide over the top of the grip.
Maybe no answer, just a matter of getting used to it...?
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:40 am

I'll help if I can, though I may just muddle things up because as simple as this matter may seem, it's actually complicated and filled with many variables.

The most important part of shooting a handgun accurately, shot after shot, is consistency of technique and this especially applies to the way you grip the gun. A change in the way you grip the gun in your hand changes the dynamics of the way the gun recoils in your hand and it does so as that bullet is traveling down the barrel. As a result, you will get changes to point of impact.

The way you grip the gun is a matter of pressure points your hand imparts on the grip. You want to develop a grip that allows you to easily repeat those pressure points, shot after shot. This is typically a grip that is firm, but relaxed. If you are using a grip that depends on a certain amount of pressure being exerted, it will be hard to get that same pressure, shot after shot. Jerry Miculek is right when he says you want a grip and technique that is easy to repeat, shot after shot. In other words, don't make it complicated. Keep it simple and something you can easily repeat, shot after shot.

After a lifetime of shooting single actions with the plow grip, I've found that the best grip for me is the pinky finger under the grip. This forces the hand to grip that plow handle the same way, every time. It's been a game changer for me. I can use it on all single actions form 22s on up to 44 mags and heavier. I can use it on any plow grip single action, be it a Colt, Uberti, Remington or Ruger. I generally like thicker grips, but with this hold I do fine with any thickness of single action grip. Yup, the pinky under grip on my single actions turns the old plow grip from being what some regard as the worst handgun grip to being the simplest to use handgun grip for me. Dovetails beautifully with the overall simplicity of a single action revolvers.

What about the Bisley grip single action revolvers? Bisley single actions don't offer me the option of using the pinky under and one maker's idea of a Bisley is different than another gun maker. This means I usually have to experiment a lot to find a grip I like with the Bisley grip single actions. Bisley grips are popular in the magnums cartridges because they reduce felt recoil for some shooters, but this is a very much a personal preference. With magnums, I find the good old plow grip to be more comfortable. A Bisley grip 44 mag actually makes felt recoil worse for me.

Double action revolvers are even trickier, because grips vary so widely between different models. I take each gun as an individual and go from there.

1911? Ha! A 1911 is a 1911 and it's one of the many things I love about 1911s. I can pick up any 1911 using my same grip and do well.

Whew! Sorry about the long post. Strange as it may seem, getting a simple, repeatable grip on your handgun can actually be a complicated process. How you grip a handgun is not something you can take for granted if you expect to hit anything with a handgun.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:17 pm

No apologies needed for the long post NCG! I appreciate every word of it.
The pinky well under the grip seems like a good way to control position. I pulled the gun out after reading your post. I purposely just quickly grabbed it and my pinky was only partially underneath, ( not really doing me any good ). I then slid my pinky back to almost the middle of the grip bottom, and it felt more secure.

This is my first experience with a SA revolver, so gonna take some getting used to if I want to shoot accurately.
Just wish I could go out and try it right now.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your most helpful advise! Everything you said was enlightening!

Mark
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry